ANTI-Graboid Tactics?

It's about Burt, need we say more?
Action_Burt

ANTI-Graboid Tactics?

Postby Action_Burt » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:50 am

Okay, here's a thought I had this morning... how effective would smoke grenades be against Shriekers?

Burt effectively uses the flash-bang grenade to drive El Blanco away; the concussive force and sound overpowering the graboids senses.

But what about Shriekers?

The shrieker senses infra red light, thereby allowing it to "see" heat (like the Predator). Burt's use of space blankets (an idea we fans proposed on the old board) works well at camouflaging him. But what about smoke?

During Desert Storm, there was a lot of talk about smoke interfering with light amplification and infra-red devices; Saddam's forces burned mounds of tires in an effort to mask the city in heated smoke, not realizing this would have no effect on GPS-guided missiles and bombs.

Imagine a scene of a herd of Shriekers headed Burt's way. He pops a smoke grenade and throws it in front of them. The smoke masks their senses, rendering them as blind as folks using visible light to see. Fire in a few flares to really confuse them as well.

Burt now has a herd of Shrieker's snapping and circling in confusion. He could begin lobbing in frag grenades, or firing blind rounds from a minigun...

Or, better yet, use a smoke generator on a vehicle to make the shrieker's give chase, then make a 90-degree turn to trick them into running out of the smoke and off a cliff.
Great White Graboid

Postby Great White Graboid » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:14 pm

Very good idea. Along the same lines, the same thing would happen if the shriekers used nightvision instead of infrared sensory. A flashbang or smoke grenade would greatly reduce visbilty. Maybe Burt could turn the shriekers against each other?
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
04EXCURSION

Postby 04EXCURSION » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:41 pm

8) Or he could use a M-249 SAW and blow them all away.
"Let me illuminate the precarious situation in which you have found youself...I am the one they call when things go wrong...and things have indeed gone wrong."- Cobra Bubble's.
Burts_Brother

Postby Burts_Brother » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Why couldn't Burt use the idea Earl created to get the graboids to swallow bombs. You could place a flare along with a bomb or something to a remote-controlled car and the shrieker will give chase to it. So when the shrieker gets close enough blow them to kingdom come.
When You Need It and Don't Have It....You Sing a Different Tune!
Action_Burt

Smoke = Heat

Postby Action_Burt » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:45 am

linx05 wrote:True. But don't they sense "heat". So smoke would really just do nothing?

Smoke is usually hot. And heat is sensed by means of infra red light, which is blocked or at least filtered by smoke; which is itself a mass of heated air, carrying carbon or other debris resulting from material burning.
Burts_Brother

Postby Burts_Brother » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:00 pm

Linx05 what were you talking about when you said they don't sense heat. If you were talking about shriekers then your wrong. Because they do sense hit because thats how they chased Burt, attacked those hot clothes Earl put out, attack the truck & car, and the radio tower in Tremors 2. Also in the series in the Night of the Shriekers Atto shot out a flare and it showed the shriekers attack it. so my idea of using a remote controlled car with a bomb and a flare attached to it would work. And if the shriekers only attacked things with infrared then they wouldn't have done all those things I listed.
When You Need It and Don't Have It....You Sing a Different Tune!
GrandAdmiralThrawn

Postby GrandAdmiralThrawn » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Hmm, i think, smoke grenades do not spread HOT smoke, do they? If the smoke is cold, it'll be easily penetrated by the long-waved infrared light emitted by men and vehicles. You'd have to use really hot smoke for this to work. And smoke will cool down really fast in the air, so you'll have to burn something, a constant heat source for this to work.

Maybe you could use flares to "blind" the Shriekers... Something so hot, that it hurts the Shriekers' sense for infrared light.
Action_Burt

Smoke and Heat

Postby Action_Burt » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:32 am

In reconsidering my original idea, I think 'Thrawn has something. I forgot that firedepartments use IR thermographic devices to see through smoke, so it isn't much of a stretch that a shrieker would also...

Probably an easier way to blind the shriekers would be to just use some very bright IR floodlights.

Very cool avatar 'Thrawn. It's about time somebody used that graphic! I remember it took forever to fix up and I have been quite disappointed no one has used it!
Wesley Wyndam Pryce

Postby Wesley Wyndam Pryce » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:25 pm

Floodlights, eh? Sounds like it might just work. What about a thermal grenade that produces extreme heat? Not an exploding grenade mind you, just one that distracts the creatures by deploying multiple thermal targets...that way you yourself won't be the 'heat' target and can have the time and satisfaction of taking the Shrieker out with your modified SPAS-12 without:
a) Having to retreat AND shoot at the same time.
b) Getting covered in exploding Shrieker guts that would have been the case had you used a conventional exploding grenade. :D
Undertaker

Postby Undertaker » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:23 pm

Not bad ideas actually.....me im a military nut.....so i know a bunch of stuff although im young....meza especially like the .50 caliber Big Bore anti tank rifle :D
The big bore anti tank rifle is very...excessive....
Shrieker_Fan

Postby Shrieker_Fan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:57 pm

I never saw this topic before but I think these are all great ideas! Poor Shriekers pay such heavy prices for living. Since Shrikers get smarter as they go if you kept using the tactics on them they'd eventually would be able to avoid it.......asuming that they weren't blown to nothing in the beginning of course.
Time is the eternal river. I suggest we not swim upstream. - Desert Jack
Undertaker

Postby Undertaker » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:06 pm

Well....burts big bore anti tank rifle blew that ones head off...meza liked that part.....
Shrieker_Fan

Postby Shrieker_Fan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:18 pm

Burt's the coolest, him and his over kill solutions and para-military paranoid self.
Undertaker

Postby Undertaker » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:22 pm

I used to be paranoid...till i saw tremors then i said "I aint even close to being paranoid!"
Shrieker_Fan

Postby Shrieker_Fan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Undertaker wrote:I used to be paranoid...till i saw tremors then i said "I aint even close to being paranoid!"

lol, I think watching the Tremors movies and series is what made me a little paranoid.

You know I bet if you wanted to catch a Shrieker you could take a cage and rig it up, some how get the Shrieker close to the cage and light up a flare and toss it into the cage. The Shrieker goes in the cage and the door closes it in. Thats one way to use their heat seeking abilities against them.

Return to “All Things Burt”