Burt's new truck

It's about Burt, need we say more?
Action_Burt

Burt trucks

Postby Action_Burt » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:00 pm

The problem with comparing anything to a humvee is like comparing apples and oranges.

The humvee was designed from the ground up to be an all-terrain vehicle. The Excursion and every other truck out there are pretty much posers- trucks and vehicles originally designed for hard surfaces, then over the years modified, enhanced, etc for off roading purposes.

I think Burt would go for a Range Rover over an excursion, or maybe one of those Mitsubishis I see on so many Nat'l Geographic-type shows (what is that by the way?)
04EXCURSION

Postby 04EXCURSION » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:13 pm

8) I'm not sure he would have went for a range rover ove an excursion because in T3 at the end he had an Excursion, not a range rover.
"Let me illuminate the precarious situation in which you have found youself...I am the one they call when things go wrong...and things have indeed gone wrong."- Cobra Bubble's.
Action_Burt

Truck vs. Truck

Postby Action_Burt » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:33 am

04EXCURSION wrote:8) I'm not sure he would have went for a range rover ove an excursion because in T3 at the end he had an Excursion, not a range rover.

The vehicles in T3 were provided by Ford. In the Series, since it was shot in Mexico, no such product placements were available, so the writers got to pick what Burt would choose; of course, the mil-suprlus vehicle they wanted was out, so the Chevy monster truck was chosen
Burts_Brother

Postby Burts_Brother » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:59 am

How much room does Burt need. If he was to have a Hummer wagon he has enough room. Two front seats for him and if Tyler. Then has the backseat and cargo area for his equipment. Burt had enough space when he had his powerwagon. And the Hummer is a lot bigger than his powerwagon. I don't have problem with excursions they are just a big vehicle. maybe if there a way to downsized them in length, then maybe Burt could use one.
When You Need It and Don't Have It....You Sing a Different Tune!
Landscaper

Postby Landscaper » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:28 pm

Sorry, but I just don't see Burtr getting a Humvee or Civilian Hummer. With the rdiator venting on the hood, it wouls act like a heat seeking beacon for every shrieker on high ground and every AB in the county!

I'm not sure of the mitsubishi is, but in other countries the Toyota LandCruiser Ute (Waht the Croc Hunter drives.) is very popular for those in the "Bush".
The one that plans ahead.
Action_Burt

Heat signals

Postby Action_Burt » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:29 am

Having actually used a real thermographic imaging device during my time in the USAF (and that was back in 1991), I can tell you that the hood vent on the humvee is the least of your worries. No matter what the vehicle, it is going to emit heat- in fact that is addressed in Episode 7/Night of the Shriekers. Otto, the tech support guy, has an electric vehicle which is shielded for passenger heat.

Any vehicle Burt has is going to emit heat. The benefit of a real Humvee is that it has superior ground clearance over just about any other vehicle and could therefore drive up onto solid ground/rocks like Earl did in Tremors 2.

Additionally, Humvees can withstand hitting a landmine- the extent that the passenger compartment is shielded. This makes me believe that any attacking graboid would not be able to disable a Humvee from beneath quite so easily as other vehicles.

I see Burt with a Humvee with smoke and flare dispensers, running on solid tires, with reinforced crash bumper for cutting through herds of shriekers and the roof pintle mount and ring instact with a belt-fed MG for dealing with any attacking ass blasters.
BurtGummer2005

Re: Not to argue, but...

Postby BurtGummer2005 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:04 am

Action_Burt wrote:
04EXCURSION wrote:8) Naw, I was inside a military Hummer (wagon), and it was small. Hummers look nice but are too small. I've seen and stood next to several different Hummers, and they just werent big enough. Also the Hummer is just as much of a luxury vehicle as the Excursion, if not more so.

Are you sure you aren't mixing up the H2 and the Military Humvee?

A "real" humvee is wider than the average vehicle- wider than an excursion for example:

Humvee:
Dimensions: L: 180â€
Burt.Gummer.2005
sugarplum_yummy

Postby sugarplum_yummy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:22 pm

cool! :)
People call me parenoid, mabe even a little crazy but they have never seen precabrian life forms have they?
Action_Burt

it ain't easy to tip a Humvee

Postby Action_Burt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:55 am

Okay, here's a story from my USAF days...

I was on off-base patrol, third shift. My partner could barely stay awake (we were in 12 hour shifts thanks the Desert Storm). I took over driving and was getting drowsy myself. Midway through the shift, we headed back to base for chow.

I'm barreling along, pushing the Humvee at about 55 mph or so (I say pushign because it had a governor to keep it slow). Suddenly, I realize I'm not actually in the left, passing lane, but in the opposite lane of traffic! And the road is about to split as it passes over the autobahn (base was right at #5)

I slammed on the brakes and slung the wheel to the right. The Hummer fishtails slightly, so now we're sliding along, at about a 45 -degree angle to the direction of travel.

(my partner is sitting straight up in his seat, grabbing the sides of the seat in white-knuckled terror and his eyes are about to pop out of his head- what a terrible way to be awakened.)

After about what seemed seconds of sliding, the rear end finally snapped over and I straightened the hummer out with about fifty feet to spare before hitting the guardrail/center divider.

I slow down and we cross over and drive up to the front gate. My pals on gate duty ask "What was that?" I calmly reply "What was what?" and drive on.

Later, we went back and checked out the LONG set of skidmarks I left in the road.

Not once did the hummer feel like it was going to tip, despite the tires roaring in protest as we slid almost sideways for maybe twenty or so feet.

Oh, and my pal drove the rest of the night and swore to never fall asleep while I was driving again...

As a footnote, I will add that this near wreck worked magic, preventing me from dozing off or getting drowsy from driving my remainder of time in the USAF. The only other wreck I had on duty was when I hit a fire hydrant due to oil on a road.

But that's another story.

Return to “All Things Burt”