Burt Gummer and Tyler Reed kitbash figures (pictures)

It's about Burt, need we say more?
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:56 pm

Yeah, that is so cool but there's nothing like holding the real thing :!: :D

@.@ I think I'll stick to my miniature plastic ones... the biggest "gun" I want to hold is the SNES Super Scope bazooka-style light gun. *shrugs*

here're some MRE's

Looking at the picture's properties I see it's from Monkey Depot, but where/how did you find them, on the site? If they aren't much more than $10 I might try to get some, but I couldn't find them on the site myself for some reason.

That's a reasonably good-looking head; once you paint or sharpie on a moustache and sideburns (if he needs those), and get a good hat for him, he might look pretty good.

I don't think Burt's hair has changed too much over time- I think that MG has that super-dry hair (that I madly envy! Curse my oily skin!) that goes all wild and frizzy when it gets messed up. This can be seen in T1, actually, shortly after he falls off the front of the CAT he has his hat off for a second. I don't think he's had his hair all slicked up since T1, though. But that hairline is great, and the face isn't a far cry either. And a moustache goes miles towards making a head look more like Burt- my head straight out of the package looked EXACTLY like Herbert Lom (Chief Inspector Dreyfuss from the Pink Panther films), but slap on a moustache and sideburns and he somehow becomes Burt. Yet MG and Herbert Lom look very, very different. So if you can get it generally close (the eyes and eyebrows help), then get specific traits right, it comes out looking pretty good.

If you're still trying to decide about the head, you might copy it into MSPaint, use the color-picker to extract the same color from his hair to use on your "brush", and go in and paint a crude moustache and see what you think.

Does anyone else here besides me think that we should create some kind of a list where we all write down our names and such, and send it to Macfarlane or Neca, about making a Burt Gummer action figure??
Anyone agrees?

I'm not too familiar with any action figure magazines/etc, but I suppose it coul be done if any of us wanted to. My Burt is sill a little limited, I have more perfecting to do, and Tyler has only jut started for the most part. Maybe someday I'll look into something like that... I wanted to put together some real how-to instructions and list the exact parts I used, but I haven't yet.

Eventually I hope to (more or less- and don't count on it) put together a set of the whole Series cast - Burt (in progress), Tyler (in progress), Jodi (I've found a good Dragon Models figure that looks slightly like Susan Chuang to me, and I've got some clothes in mind), Twitchell (no clue what I'm going to use yet, but I want a GI Joe body so he'll be short and stocky- and I definately have some clothes for him, just need a suitcoat, although a WW2 officer's green tie might look a little odd), Nancy (I'm thinking about trying to age a Barbie somehow, but I'm not sure how to go about that), Rosalita (Cali Girls figure, maybe? I don't really know what I'll do yet), and Larry (no clue about him either).

If I could find some nice 1:6-scale heads of Kevin Bacon or Reba McEntire (or for that matter, any head based on an actor from a Tremors movie), I'd jump at the opportunity, of course ^.^ Especially Reba...

I have a SOTW figure I got with my Barrett that looks a tiny bit like Fred Ward with nose surgery. I might do something with him, though... I really like the head so I want to use it one way or another.
Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:18 pm

I did the thing with the Burt head.....it's scary how much it looks like him.... :shock:

For BDU's, which one of these should I use?

and for vests

or

and do you think these are good sunglasses for em?

and the stuff I ordered on Thursday should be coming in tomorrow! And I made the rations and money and a laptop out of paper! Looks pretty good!
Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:41 pm

OMG! I just had the funniest thought when I saw this 1861 Springfield rifle!
and here's the one Burt used or close to it

I also found Burt's leatherman. To help you remember in case ya forgot, here's a quote-

"My leatherman in my pocket! Right side, bottom row, third pocket!"

and who could forget his infamous key ring? 8)

Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:40 pm

GOOD GRIEF! Now I'm embarassed about my own searching!! *hops over to the yahoo site*

Those ae awesome-looking Civil War muskets. I don't know my muskets- all I know about guns has come from Tremors anyway- but in S&D I remember Tyler saying "A Blunderbuss! It has your name on it, Burt." But these sites don't usually list the names; if you were really interested you could probably find some photos of a real blunderbuss online and compare.

I've seen those leatherman tools before at War-Toys, and have had my eye on them for a while. Hopefully I can get one whenever/wherever I make my next parts order.

A KEY RING!!! I've hunted all over for a set of kets to attach to Burt's belt, and only found one and missed it. I really should make an order from this place and get those...

The sunglasses look fine, and since they're Dragon-Models like the head, they should fit okay. Incidentally, they also have a Greg head at that store- that's the same head I use for my Tyler, except I painted his hair and eyebrows brown and painted on ans scratched off tiny dots to make stubble. He's not perfect, but I have yet to see a head I like as much for Tyler (ActionBurt's is a GI Joe of some kind, but I haven't seen it very well yet- looking forward to seeing it in Return of the Creates/BvG).

Incidentally, though, if you're buying a head, remember you need a body to put it on! I'm not sure how compatable heads of different brands are (just that SOTW heads can be put on 21st bodies), so I'm not sure what kind of figure you'd be able to use with a Dragon head (besides a Dragon Body, of course). Hopefully ActionBurt or someone more experienced with such things can chime in here.

It's a little hard to tell what you're going to get with a lot of tactical vests, because they have thin straps in places and don't look quite normal until you put them on. Both of those vests look pretty good, and to be perfectly honest, I can't quite decide myself. The second might hang down a little more, but on the other hand, it might actually look better when it's on- I can't tell for sure. Both seem to have pretty nice pockets for storine stuff, although the first one's look slightly bigger. It's a hard choice, though.

The Marshall vest looks pretty good, as does the tan bones one, lots of nice huge pockets. I might get a vest like that simply for storing ex tra survival gear in- most vests have pretty skinny pockets, which look better, but don't always have room to put things in. But I totally understand wanting a vest that looks more like the one Burt actually uses- I fell in love with mine when I saw it on War-Toys, simply because it looks so similar to The Series tactical vest.

Those BDUs seem pretty similar, though for some strange reason the design of the first set looks a little simpler, and the second has shoulder pockets/loops of some kind. I dunno, but I think I'd go with the second of those pictures you showed.

I really should order at this place, they even have the raider vests I've been wanting to get one of for Burt's secondary/relaxed/non-tactical vest. Thanks for stirring up my interest! ^.^ Now if I just had some money to buy stuff with...
Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:14 pm

Yeah....I noticed that secondary vest too! And the good thing about yahoo is that they replenish their stuff so if you're lookin for a barret .50 and they're out, they'll get more in....the other places might not....it's just what they gey when they get it....and check out the handguns and rifles....and that civil war gun i showed ya, I posted it because it said it was an 1861 Springfield.... :lol: And as for money to buy it with, I'm lucky...learning to save from when I was 7 really paid off.... 8)
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:31 pm

You posted this at ITF right?

the grey barret is the same one i bought as well as the gandgun with the light on it and the m-4 in the top right corner.
04EXCURSION

Postby 04EXCURSION » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:34 am

8) Are those air soft guns?
"Let me illuminate the precarious situation in which you have found youself...I am the one they call when things go wrong...and things have indeed gone wrong."- Cobra Bubble's.
04EXCURSION

Postby 04EXCURSION » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:37 am

Is that an M-249 SAW? The big gun in the middle on the bottom row.
"Let me illuminate the precarious situation in which you have found youself...I am the one they call when things go wrong...and things have indeed gone wrong."- Cobra Bubble's.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:46 pm

Do you think this if the gun Burt had in Tremors 3?

I found another one that's similar to it too

Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:18 pm

Do you think this if the gun Burt had in Tremors 3?
I don't think either of those are exactly the same gun as the on from T3- a "Ruger Mini-14"- but ActionBurt says he's never been able to find one of those and thinks that they are not made (at least not 'bullpup' stock versions, with the magazine behind the handle). Burt's Mini-14, taken from T3's cover

However, in my opinon, they do bear an awesome similarity to it! (Especially the second I think, aside from the green paint; maybe you could carefully paint it with black acrylic, if you wanted to) I'd love to expand my Burt's arsenal with one, but I don't know about spending the extra money right now (whenever I make my order- I've already decided to get the secondary vest, a pair of Clint Eastwood cowboy boots for Tyler, and a G-1 flight jacket for Tyler- and one of those key rings! I'd rather have the police kind, it looks like they have a loop that could be attached to a web belt, so maybe I could actually hang them from his gun belt like in The Series. Well, and a pair of silver wraparound sunglasses I found that I really like that bear no resemblance to anything from Tremors; maybe I'll put them on a Barbie or something, or they can stand in for Tyler's sunglasses until I get some smaller black ones from War-Toys).

My thought on Burt's arsenal is this, though; you might want to get a Betsy, and you might be interested enough to look for the few other guns he wields in The Series (I'd like to have whatever that is at the beginning of NotS that Burt uses to shoot the first shrieker), but when it comes to buying guns from the earlier movies, I don't mind being a little imprecise, since I figure he had to replace them all anyway; they wouldn't be perfect copies. He might even replace one gun with another similar one instead of hunting up the same model. I'm aiming to get Burt some kind of elephant gun (among other uses, as a secondary Graboid hunting gun; if Burt and Tyler went on assignment hunting Graboids again, it would make sense for Tyler to have a backup weapon, not just Burt. That also helps keep anything like what happened in the end of A Little Paranoia Among Friends from happening again; that ought to be reason enough for Burt to make sure Tyler brings his own!), but just because he used a certain model in T1, I wouldn't mind not getting that exact model, since it's a "replacement" anyway. *shrugs*

I'd also love to get one of these or similar, because, as ActionBurt pointed it out to me, the gun Tyler uses in Shriek and Destroy is a sawed/off "shorty" AK 47 without the wooden shoulder support part. I think he only used four guns in the series; an M-16 (I think; in Night of the Shriekers), Burt's desert eagle (Shriek and Destroy), his silly little revolver from Project 4-12 and Flora or Fauna, and the AK 47. I'm not a gun person, but I'd really like my figures to be authentic as possible, and after the lengths I went to getting Burt not only a Barrett .50 but a SOTW one (with the newer muzzle design), it seems like the least I could do is find a "shorty" AK-47 for Tyler. Until then I have Tyler carrying (when I have them posed with their guns- sometimes I put the guns back in the box and have my figures just stand, I don't really have much of a display place for them, my bookshelf got kinda messy again post-picture taking) the normal AK-47 (unless it's not an AK-47; again, this is a by-eye identification from a person who doesn't know guns very well)

Are those air soft guns?

The entire post is about action figures, so no. Those are all miniature plastic or metal 1:6 scale (the huge barretts are about 9" long, the handguns are barely an inch, and so on).

Is that an M-249 SAW? The big gun in the middle on the bottom row.

Sorry, I haven't a clue. It's from a GI Joe weapons set that didn't label anything. There are similar guns on Opsgear refferred to as "SAW"s, so maybe so.

Incidentally, Brian, how is your figure going? What kind of parts do you have in so far, or are waiting on, and what do you have in mind to order in the near future? My figures haven't changed much since the pictures I took, but sometime soon I'm really trying to get at least part of this:

Secondary/tan vest for Burt
Adventure Gear Flannel field shirt for Burt (preferably red; eventually I want to get a rust one, so with the tan vest I can recreate his Project 4-12 outfit. Actually, I'd like all four colors...)
Jeans for Tyler, preferably Dragon
Cowboy boots for Tyler
Red shirt for Tyler (if I can find any anywhere; they're apparently pretty rare in non-Ken brands)
Clay for molding Tyler's hair (I'm thinking that if I shape it on, and it sticks but no longer sticks once dry, I might keep it removeable- allowing Tyler to still be able to change shirts! Maybe I could even mold more than one hair piece if this worked out, one that a hat fits on and one for when he's got his hat off, with the front of the hair all poofed out)
Belt with a buckle for Burt (he has a pants belt, gun web belt, and a web belt on his vest. I currently have a green web belt standing in for the pants belt, and it's bugging me)
Belt with a buckle for Tyler (I have a "on-assignment gun belt" made up for Tyler, just a green web belt with a leather holster containing the silver pistol with the brown handle; but I don't have a pants belt, and I want one)
Keys for Burt's Belt
Cigarette Lighter for Burt's vest
Toothbrush for Burt's vest (I can't find any barbie ones; perhaps I could buy a new one somewhere for cheaper than those War Toys tooshbrushes- with some actual toothpaste, too)
Leatherman/pocket knife/pliers/swiss army knife for Burt's vest
Cowboy hat for Tyler
1" working cyalume fishing bobber sticks that would fit in my Burt's vest pockets; I got some 1 1/2" sticks that are too long
MRE meal kit set

Ideally, I'll be slowly collecting these as the year goes on. If/when I find a GI Joe/SOTW figure/etc. that will work well enough for Twitchell as I'm hoping, I want to buy one of those black suits from Opsgear; I have a high-collar dressy WW2 shirt from SOTW (the velcro isn't too noticeable when done up with a tie over it) and a OD green WW2 tie that'll make do until I'm willing to spend 4+ on a nice tie for him. I also have a pair of Joe FBI agent "boots" that look enough like dress shoes to be good enough for me, and a pair of black socks (I have Burt and Tyler in socks as well- I like socks, and these guys have some seriously ugly feet to cover up), and I'll get him another one of those watches for a wrist seismo. So really, Twitchell will only cost as much as the figure itself costs- double that if I want to do a head swap if he's on a 13" tall figure or something- plus $12 for a suit and $1 or less for the seismo. I even have a nice pair of sunglasses that would fit a Dragon Models or certain GI Joe heads. So if you see a head that looks like Twitchell, please let me know, and know exactly where you found it!

Jodi shouldn't cost too much either; a fairly common nude figure for $12, add barbie clothes (unless they don't fit...) and any new items I want to track down, and figure something out about those shoes- if Barbie shoes won't fit (highly probable) I might be able to get a pair of sneaker "combat boots" that would fit and look okay. The hiking-type spikes on the bottom are appropriate to the environment of Perfection; you might notice Rosalita waars hiking boots constantly.

And then I want to do a head-swap with Burt, put him on a 21st century toys figure with a full set of differently posed interchangeable hands. The absolute ideal here would be if I could also steal a Joe's poseable hands (the newer ones with the moving fingers) and make them compatable with the 21st Century Toys figure, because War-Toys has a pair of gloves- one mitten shaped, one mitten shaped with a seperate index finger- and then I could have a poseable pair of optional hands with REAL gloves on! I have no idea how to do this, though, but it would be very cool- think of Burt's driving/gun-wrangling gloves from The Series. The half-gloves are pretty cool, and very versatile, but I'd love it if I could do something like this, too.
Action_Burt

Postby Action_Burt » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:52 pm

Brian wrote:Do you think this if the gun Burt had in Tremors 3?

I found another one that's similar to it too

Sorry, Brian, but that's a British Enfield (L84? I forget the number designation)

Burt's gun in T3 is a M-14 that was extensively modified with an aftermarket Muzzelite stock kit:

Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:19 pm

Thanks for tellin me....Good thing I didn't buy it.
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:12 pm

My Tyler's Ken jean jacket is a pretty bad fit, as I mentioned earlier, so when I make my order from opsgear I'm looking to get him a flight jacket. However, I'm kind of wondering which would be more appropriate now:

I personally really likethis one, and think it looks cooler; but it's supposedly most popular with navy people, and Tyler is the son of an air force colonel. Is there any reason why this jacket would be bad somehow?

Then there's this one. It looks a bit more like the secondary/tan jacket Tyler wears in The Series, with the fur/wooly lining, and might look okay, but I'm not sure if I like it as much. Do you think this would be better than the other one for some reason?

Any input would be helpful to me, thank you.

EDIT: Nix all that, unless I'm mistaken, OPSgear doesn't accept any payment besides credit cards and paypal. This is no good whatsoever for me, and prevents me from ordering anything from them. If you know of ANY way they would accept a money order, or a personal check even, please let me know, because we have no credit card for online use and no paypal account. Stupid website- I should've thought to look sooner. Very disappointing, now I have to try to find this stuff somewhere else.
Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:09 am

I placed my second order today and this is what I ordered....

Image-the black ones.....
and about 5 of these.....
Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:59 pm

I've been lookin for a knife for Burt and would this one seem like a good one for him?

Return to “All Things Burt”