Burt Gummer and Tyler Reed kitbash figures (pictures)

It's about Burt, need we say more?
Mitsukara

Burt Gummer and Tyler Reed kitbash figures (pictures)

Postby Mitsukara » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:22 am

Well, it's taken the majority of a year (since March- mostly it took so long because I didn't have much money to spend or know much about what I was doing), but at long last I have achieved a Burt Gummer action figure I am very pleased with, complete with a good face, vest full of survival gear, Hawks cap, and his Barrett .50 "Betsy" rifle. A very big thanks goes to ActionBurt, who pioneered the process, and gave me some very helpful advice and parts. I highly doubt I would've made this figure if it hadn't already been done...

Aditionally, I've started work on a Tyler Reed figure, although it hasn't gotten very far; my biggest achievements on him are painting the face/hair with the eyebrows and stubble and getting him a reasonably nice (but way too short and tight) blue jean jacket of Ken's. In any case, I finally got some reasonly good (if a bit discolored due to bad lighting) pictures taken (with a cheap, temporary diorama, no less) and developed, so without further ado, here they are...

When Graboids, Shriekers, Assblasters, or the latest bizarre Mixmaster creation are on the rampage, Burt Gummer is ready for the occasion!
Burt is armed with a Soldiers of the World/Formative Int'l-brand Barrett .50 sniper rifle, very closely matching the one he wields (oft referred to as "Betsy") in The Series episodes "Feeding Frenzy" and "A Little Paranoia Among Friends."

Burt himself is a SOTW WW2 "Airborne Commander" figure, although the same head is used for several of their figures. The moustache and sideburns are painted on with a mix of black and brown Apple Barrell acrylic paints.

Burt is outfitted in a GI joe black turtleneck (after taking these pictues, I swapped Burt and Tyler's shirts, so Burt now has a brown T-shirt and Tyler has the black turtleneck), over which is a green fatigue shirt of some sort, (BBI brand, I think- it was given to me by ActionBurt. Thanks, ActionBurt!) and over that is his Dragon-Models tactical vest. He also wears a pair of black 21st century toys half-gloves (also a gift from ActionBurt). His pants are SOTW Iraqi Freedom-style desert camo BDUs, and he also wears a pair of DM black socks, and DM black leather lace-up boots. These awesome boots are made of very lifelike fake leather and material, with working laces. Unfrotauntely they were too small for the SOTW figure's giant feet so I had to try to sand them and push a lot to get them in. I'm hoping that whenever I remove the boots, they won't be damaged very much...

Burt keeps the townfolk of Perfection advised of El Blanco's movements around the valley via his Walkie-Talkie radio.
The sunglasses are SOTW brand as well- yet again from ActionBurt. Unfortunately, these tend to break super-easily, and I had to glue both arms back on after they arrived. And then one of the arms broke and I had to glue it again, resulting in the little lump on the right arm...
The radio is Dragon-Models brand, and came with a removable microphone/speaker piece with a Motorola logo on it, as well as a little camoflague pouch that I'm not currently using. I removed the speaker to enhance the similarity to Burt's walkie in The Series.

Burt's Atlanta Hawks cap is homemade; a GI Joe baseball cap, spraypainted white with krylon, with a logo printed on white cardstock glued to the front. Then I touched up around the edges of the paper to make it blend into the rest of the hat better. I also got really bold and made some subtle darker marks along the bottom edge of the hat to resemble sweat-stains. The results are mediocre.

Burt's vest (which is olive-green; the scanner makes it look a different color for some reason) has real-working removeable pockets, attached to the vest by velcro. The top two open and close with velcro, while the long pockets all have working plastic buckles! Each of these pockets is loaded with survival gear. On the back of the vest are Burt's canteen (which can be removed from it's case; I also have one with an opening lid, although it didn't fit in the case it came with...), and a container of some kind of spare ammo. Attached by hooks (actually, they're jump rings) are Burt's military-style flashlight and three concussion grenades. I had four, but I lost one...

Burt teams up with Tyler Reed, ex-Nascar driver turned tour guide and Graboid-hunting sidekick.
Burt's gunbelt is a GI Joe black web belt, with a pouch containing two spare handgun rounds (for my purposes I'm saying they're DE rounds). Also attached to the belt is a Chris SASR holster (with a spare magazine molded on- Burt's not running out of DE ammo anytime soon) containing a .50 Desert Eagle hangun, originally from a Danger Girl figure. They make some where the bolt thingy pulls back, someday I want to get one of those- the only working part on this one is the removeable magazine.

Tyler is (was) wearing a brown T-shirt, Ken's Blue Jean Jacket, a black GI Joe baseball cap, GI Joe Khakis, black socks, and a pair of brown leather Herman Goering boots that currently pass for Cowboy boots. The boots have a zipper going down the back. Soon I want to get Tyler a pair of Dragon Models (or Joe/Adventure Gear if I can't find any DM jans when I can actually afford them) jeans, and I've found some clay I want to use to mold on the proper long hair.

Burt and Tyler are both wearing their wrist seismos, which are actually Dragon-Models digital watches with red buttons painted on.

Apparently there's plenty of 1:6 scale monsters out there, and none of them are in my house. But that doesn't mean there are no appropriate foes for Burt and Tyler...

An escaped project from Area 51, or possibly Perfection's secret Biotech Lab...

Here's a real monster- a vintage Star Wars Rancor! This was a gift from a family friend many years ago, so I try to take special care of it...

Burt vs. the Gillman? Not quite...

Burt and Tyler relax in Burt's ruined diorama after a day of monster-hunting.

For more pictures, and the full-size versions of these, check out the photo gallery:
My completed stomper Power Wagon also has a gallery:

Eventually I should put this information up on my website, but I have to get around to it first. ^.^ Anyway, I hope someone enjoys this or finds it interesting...
Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:41 pm

wish i could get one :lol: :roll:
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:57 pm

If you wanted to make one, you should definately look around these sites, as almost all of my parts (with the exception of a few items garnered from those three GI Joes I bought when I stared out) from them.

Always check out eBay if you can't find something anywhere else. A lot of SOTW products seem to be out of production, or at least not nearly as widespread as they were a couple years ago- of the two I have, one came from SBP as they were liquidating their supplies of the line, and one came from eBay.

I also especially reccomend War-Toys, which is perhaps the best place to find those awesome Dragon-Models items and figures loose. Burt's vest, boots, a lot of the stuff in his vest, my Tyler figure itself (a Scud Hunter Greg- they're made blonde, just so you know if you're looking for one), Tyler's boots, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting all came from War-Toys. They also carry some BBI products, which from what I've seen are often pretty good quality.

Also check out:
http://www.smallblueplanet.com/
A good general action figure place, with a lot of 1:6 scale stuff, both boxed/packaged and loose

http://www.adventure-gear.com/
A good place to find clothes and some equipment.

An excellent place to find inexpensive, sometimes uncommon parts.

I haven't really shopped on these other sites as much, but in looking them over a few times I have found a few items of interest (I tend to try to make orders of at least 4 items at a time, to save on shipping- except on eBay of course). You should definately look into them if you're looking for parts not found on these other sites:

http://www.thebattlerhino.com/
http://www.justicefighters.com/

If you want magazines/calendars/books/newspapers, or more complex items such as designs to print and fold to make a paper laptop, or if you want, say, printable money, there's a lot of sites that have this kind of stuff. This is a pretty good example:
http://www.printmini.com/printables/

If you make sure to only buy parts that you really want, and make sure that you're truly satisfied with something when you buy it, then it might not be that hard to make your own figure.

The good thing about making a Burt is that there's a ton of military stuff out there to choose from, so you get a lot of selection. The hardest part is finding a good head, but there again, that's a matter of what you're satisfied with. It took quite a while, but after enough looking I found a SOTW figure with the "Burt" head seen on my figure, the same one ActionBurt uses- it's an excellent head, but getting rarer. I'd check eBay for it were I looking for one now.

If you used slightly more playable/less detailed items, like 21st Century Toys or GI Joe vests instead of Dragon-Models, and if you either got lucky or were okay with not getting an actual Barrett .50 for Burt (they're kind of rare- I lucked into a loose Dragon one where the auction went up to about $12, and one with a SOTW figure for about $15/$20), then you might be able to put together a 1:6 scale figure of Burt for as little as, say, $40-$50, depending heavily on how detailed and complete your parts are. As for mine, with all the parts I've bought considered- even the ones I'm not using very much, I could've saved at least $20 on those Joes I bought at first buying the parts I use now loose- I think I've spent roughly $150 on it, maybe less, in increments of no more than $30 at a time. Had I bought only the parts I now used, or known more about what I was doing, I think a Burt of similar quality could be constructed at more like $100.

Hope that helps somebody ^.^
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:00 pm

Qhat should I search under on E-bay? I type in Barret .50 or toy-size barret .50 and it gives me nothing. I figure I'm doing something wrong. and thanks for the printables page....Just a hypothetical thought, If I paid the expenses and labor, would you make me the best Burt figure ever with all the accerssories? also, a couple of weeks back, I went on vacation to Universal and they had the new Terminator Figures in the gift shop. RERALLY GOOD ONES! Anyway, one of them comes with a coffen full of good weapons. The huge machine gun in T-3, an M-4, 2 of those machine guns he has at the end, two bazooka rockets, and some stuff you could rip out if you wanted too i guess, but i'm not rippin mine out. but the sepecific weapons i listed are meant to be taken out.
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:47 pm

Qhat should I search under on E-bay? I type in Barret .50 or toy-size barret .50 and it gives me nothing. I figure I'm doing something wrong.

Well, for one thing, Barretts (or Barret- I'm never quite sure which spelling is correct) are kind of rare- I've only seen five on eBay in the past year, although I didn't look constantly so I'm sure there were some I didn't find.

However, when you're looking for parts, often you can't find items listed by the specific name- especially guns. So try searching by brand name alone and looking through all the products (Search for "Soldiers of the World" under toys and hobbies/action figures, or "Dragon", "GI Joe", etc). If you want to further refine the search, you might try adding "loose" to the end of that ("Dragon loose" etc). When looking for a specific item or weapon, you might need to buy a whole figure that happens to have one. I got one of my Barretts- the one seen in these pictures- because it came with an Iraqi Freedom SOTW figure. Nowhere in the auction or name did it list "Barrett", so I found it by looking through likely-sounding SOTW figures (an Iraqi Freedom or Desert Storm/modern figure might have one; a WW2 or Vietman figure won't)., and looking at all the pictures.

Additionally, if looking for a Barrett, you might try searching for "sniper rifle". War-Toys might have the Dragon-Models kind periodically as they do carry Scud Hunter Greg parts (and the Barrett comes with Greg), but they never label the specific name of a type of gun so you have to look through the whole list to be sure. They also have an odd "bullpup" design Barrett, slightly similar to Burt's but rearranged, with the ammo magazine behind the handle and such.

If you're really wanting to start working on a Burt, you might try to find a base figure/head first, which can be a little tricky. This, for example, might be identical to the kind of figure I used, but no pictures were enclosed, so you can't be sure! Do you really want to spend $15+ on a figure that might or might not be what you wanted? The only way to be sure is to hunt everywhere you can think of, repeatedly over time, until you find something.

[quote]Just a hypothetical thought, If I paid the expenses and labor, would you make me the best Burt figure ever with all the accerssories?[/quoe]
I'm very sorry to say that I'm not so sure I can make a figure for you, even with the expenses paid. It takes a very long time to find all the parts you might want, and such a task could wind up taking several months if you wanted to do it perfectly. I know it's not really any consolation, but if you want to make one yourself, it's not terribly difficult- mostly a matter of finding things. You might try something like this:

1. Look on eBay or in stores- also try SBP toys- until you find a figure with a face/head that you would like to use for Burt. You might keep in mind that you can paint/mark on a moustache, sideburns, etc, but removing hair that's already there is a little harder.

You might also think about the stuff that comes with this figure, and see how much of it you might be able to use.

2. Start finding clothes for Burt. The websites I listed are great for this, but particularly I reccomend some for certain items.

If you want a really detailed vest, look at War-Toys. But, if you don't mind using one with non-working pockets, those are far more common. You might consider buying something like this, which resembles the tactical vest seen in The Series somewhat.

If you want a really nice pair of boots with laces, you might look at War-Toys and on e-bay for loose parts, but these often run close to $10 (mine were $9 minus tax!) Most action figure collectors just use the normal solid-piece boots. You can find nice tactical boots in pretty much every brand that makes these figures, but they're usually different sizes, so you might try to find some of the same brand as your figure. However, I've found these and these, though they are made for 21st Century Toys figures, fit excellently on GI-Joes as well. With some work they can be squeezed onto SOTW figures, too.

Camoflague BDUs, desert or green print, are very very common, in several brands. You might try to find some matching the brand of figure you use for better fit, but these seem like a really good pair (I'm planning to order some if they're still available, eventually), and GI-Joes at Wal Mart right now very often have BDU pants.

If you don't already have a shirt, there's quite a few available- although there is some issue of how well they fit. Dragon-Models and GI Joe are safe bets, since they tend to be pretty tight but can fit on larger figures. SOTW is kind of bad, they're usually extremely loose even on the figures they're made for. 21st Century Toys, BBI, etc. are okay sometimes. My Burt's green shirt is from one of these two brands. Perhaps something like this would work. Adventure Gear has some awesome flannels- I'm hoping to order one or two of these myself soon. These should fit pretty well on anything, and are sized to GI Joes. If you don't like the looks of Burt with just one button-up shirt on (the necks tend to be a bit low), then try looking for a turtleneck or T-shirt.

Pants don't neccesarily need a belt, but if you want Burt to have a gun belt, you should look for some sort of web belt. GI Joes often come with these- in fact, the majority of figures have one of some sort.

You can attach a lot of accesories to a belt, more so than nearly anywhere else. If you get a nice War Toys vest, you can attach some stuff there, too- my Burt has a vest with pockets full of stuff, with some stuff attached using jump rings (check the craft section of Wal Mart with the jewelry parts), a web belt through the loops on the vest with some stuff attached, and then a gun belt around his hips.

Many radios come with pouches, ]this kind of grenades have clips by which they can be attached. Many figures come with bayonet knives.

Basically, just search thoroughly through these websites for accesories/small items, weapons, and clothing. For a figure/transplantable head, look thoroughly on eBay, on SBP toys, on War Toys, and in stores. Modify a few things individually- you'll need to make your own Atlanta Hawks cap if you want one (although, that's something you might be able to get help from someone else on. ActionBurt has discovered some sort of watercolor decals that are perfect for imprinting hat logos, so you might inquire about that). Burt's head will likely require some modifications using acrylic paint or a Sharpie maker.

It takes a while to really get a feel for how to find stuff, but experiment, look around on these sites, try any different keywords you can think of on eBay- generality helps sometimes- and consider looking in stores if you've got some close-by. Once you get the grasp of it it's pretty easy to look for parts. Again, if you want super-detailed stuff, War Toys is great, and look for Dragon-Models parts specifically in your searches, they are the most detailed I have found. A lot of what War Toys carries is Dragon, but they can be found on SBP, eBay, and many of the other sites I listed as well.

As for guns, you can find weapons packs in stores, and you can often find them using the method described above, but if you're really wanting a specific one- like the Barrett .50- you need to look for carded/boxed figures and accesory sets that might contain them. Barretts can be found with Scud Hunter Greg figures, with various SOTW figures (especially Iraqi Freedom and Desert Storm), in carded packs with clothing, and a few other places, but they are rare so you need to keep looking. Check eBay, often. Both of my Barretts are from e-bsy auctions.

I'm sorry that I can't offer you much more than advice or answers to questions you might have right now. I would like to help, but you might find it easier buying parts yourself. Putting together another whole figure right now is kind of a daunting task for this 15-year-old, I'm sorry. ActionBurt might be able to help you, although he's extremely busy right now, trying to get his action figure comic, Burt vs. The Gillman, finished, so he might not be wanting to put together a whole figure right now either.

But I strongly encourage you, if you want a figure, look for parts. The customization you'll have to do is likely minimal, mostly just making a hat and modifying facial hair. Nearly everything else, you can find in online stores or on eBay.
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:56 pm

yeah....I looked at all the sites already and found some good stuff....some of the things i found were in those pics you just posted.....and as for you not being able to help, that was great advice and I'm 14 so I can understand not being able to not do another one....just wonderin....
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:09 pm

I just found a perfect Barret .50!

Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:41 pm

Awesome! If you're interested, snag it, you might not find another for months.

That looks like one of the Dragon Models ones. The bolt handle (if that's what it's called) pulls back, and you can actually see the top of the magazine through it when it's back- the magazine comes out, the periscope is removeable, and both periscope lenscaps open (although they'd be easy to break- I try to be very careful with mine), and there are some really nice looking little plastic lenses (although there's black plastic behind them, so it's non-functioning in that sense). Indeed, it's very cool. And trust me, an included strap is a big bonus.

In fact, I really like my Dragon Models Barrett better than the SOTW one I use in the pictures- there are only two things in the SOTW Barrett's favor by comparison, it's bigger, and the thing on the muzzle is the newer design, so it matches the one in the show slightly better. But the Dragon Models ones are actually the correct scale instead of being oversized, and all those little details make it awesome.

Incidentally, if you do buy it, see if the auction holder has some other loose parts stuff up and if it says anything about combining the shipping on multiple wins. That way you can maybe get a few other items, if you want to.

And if you buy it and don't make a figure, it makes a pretty good little piece of memorabilia all by itself. You can maybe prop it up like it is in the picture and put it someplace safe for display, or whatever you'd like. I'd try to make a figure, though, but that's just me ^.^ Finding that SOTW Burt head is a real quest, though...
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:49 pm

I'm gonna attempt to make a figure...And I'm about to purchase it...I also added these to the shopping cart

Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:32 pm

Cool stuff!

Where did you find these, though? I thought it was on eBay, but now that you say shopping cart, it occurs to me maybe not. I haven't looked through some of those stores very well- I'm a lot more familiar with War Toys, eBay, and SBP than I am anything else.

I remember looking on one of these sites- I think it was The Battle Rhino- and finding a box of MREs. If you see anything like that, could you let me know? I'd love to get a box of MREs for Burt, but I couldn't afford it at the time... I'm also on the lookout for jeans (for Tyler), a jean jacket or leather jacket (also for Tyler), and a black suitcoat (for a Twitchell I want to make in the future- I have a few things going for an outfit, shoes, socks, shirt, tie, and a pair of khakis).

That watch is identical to the ones I use for Burt and Tyler, actually. It made a closer match to the Wrist Seismo watches than anything else I could find. That's a cool radio, too!

Incidentally, if you have more money to spend, I just checked and War-Toys has a pretty cool vest in stocfk for 4.95 (not counting shipping, of course). I'm pretty sure those pouches are all-working. They also have a bunch of accessory stuff, like canteens (out the wazoo), flashlights, binoculars, toothbrushes, flares, first aid pouches, flare guns, knives, rifle oil, even a few cigarette lighters. I really love the small stuff- the next time I order from them I plan to get some more of it.

If you look for a shirt there, look not only under shirts, but under sweaters- they have a few black turtlenecks in stock. They also have Black Leather boots (and tan ones, which I didn't even know they made...) like the ones on my figure, or Panzer sewn boots that look nazish but are very detailed and have laces (and are slightly cheaper). Figures are under "nude"- you buy them nude and put your own clothes on them, it's a little cheaper. BDUs- pants and jacket set- can be found under "camo"- they have a pretty good looking set in stock.

Good luck with your efforts!!
Earl_Bassett

Postby Earl_Bassett » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:32 am

Does anyone else here besides me think that we should create some kind of a list where we all write down our names and such, and send it to Macfarlane or Neca, about making a Burt Gummer action figure??
Anyone agrees?

/// Earl
"I'm betting on outer space. No way these are local boys."
Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:49 am

I don't know.....

and i did find a head resembling Burt a little.
Hair's not like the series., but it's like it was in the first movie.
Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:31 am

I've seen that vest. and i got this stuff off of that shop.yahoo link ya gave...they got GREAT stuff there! one of those guns cost 16 cents and it was the last one!
Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:21 pm

here're some MRE's

LadyNRA

Postby LadyNRA » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:26 pm

Brian wrote:I just found a perfect Barret .50!

Yeah, that is so cool but there's nothing like holding the real thing :!: :D
"I am completely out of ammo. That's never happened to me before!"

Return to “All Things Burt”