Burt vs. ???

It's about Burt, need we say more?
Action_Burt

Burt vs. ???

Postby Action_Burt » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:19 pm

Here's a good thread... monsters that would fit the Tremors theme, that we would like to see Burt fight...

The Gillman.

Jurassic Park/Isla Nublar

The Mole People

King Kong. (Imagine Burt called in to help an oil company trying to tap a new reservoir)
Great White Graboid

Postby Great White Graboid » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:28 pm

How about Burt vs. some of the slasher film horror icons of the 80's?
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
Action_Burt

Burt vs. Slashers? Nah!

Postby Action_Burt » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:45 pm

I dont' think it wopuld work, writing-wise.

You've got to remember that Burt is the Ash of monster films.

Ash wouldn't make any sense fighting monsters, while Burt would lose a lot of his humor in fighting slashers.

A good catch-all character would be jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China). I think he'd be equally at home fighting monsters as he would slashers- so long as there was SOME supernatural twist involved.
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:49 pm

I'd like to see Burt battle some Japanese horror monsters. Godzilla, Gamera, Rodan- many of which are interchangable in the roles of hero or villian, but for Burt's purposes it'd work fine for them to be the villian. I can see it now- Godzilla and Mothra go on vacation, and Megalon decides to go on a rampage, so who does Tokyo call?

Or heck, dip into the low-budget, non-famous Japanese monsters, even. Phantom and the Krankorians decide to invade, but Prince of Space (or Wally, if you prefer) is busy elsewhere, so the scientists call in Burt and Tyler to battle the wicked chicken-like moustached men. Or perhaps we could go to Italy-disguised-as-London and have Burt stand in for Vadinho (oh yeah, and for the amazing Puma Man- or better yet, keep him around so he can pretend to be doing something while Burt and Tyler do all the real work) to battle KOBRAS and the evil mask of the ancient aztecs.
Action_Burt

Postby Action_Burt » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:07 am

Mitsukara wrote:I'd like to see Burt battle some Japanese horror monsters.

I dunno.. I think Burt works better against the plausible monsters...

What about Mighty Joe Young? Or maybe the American Godzilla? Maybe Burt could fight a hatched Godzilla that was only about fifty feet tall...
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:54 pm

The original Japanese Godzilla wasn't totally implausible, especially at the time. He was created by old dinosaur remains being affected by the radiation of H-bomb tests. Radiation is a tried and true old monster theory, and in fact it was one of the things Val suggested back in T1 that could've caused the graboids to appear (not that it was).

Mighty Joe Young was too nice! I think Burt should battle things that are really nasty/evil, and not in-betweens, like the Wolf Man and such. You could have an evil bigfoot and that might be okay...

Besides, the Krankor aliens could really exist, for all we know.
Action_Burt

PLausible man in a rubber suit?

Postby Action_Burt » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:52 am

Mitsukara wrote:The original Japanese Godzilla wasn't totally implausible, especially at the time.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself enough- I meant plausible as in the way they were presented on film. GOdzilla/Gojira the idea isn't too bad, but it was very cheesy (I like cheesy). It wouldnt mesh well with Burt- it'd ve like seeing him fight villains from the color episodes of Lost in Space.

And the wolfman was very nice! I just recently watched all the Lon CHaney Jr. Wolfman movies- hadn't seen them since a kid, and now I find I am a huge fan of them. How can you not feel sorry for Larry Talbot? I wish somebody would redo the Wolfman movies with decent effects today, but still capture the tragedy of the curse. The real horror in those filmsisn't the wolfman itself, but that Talbot became cursed; it could happen to anyone. Too many werewolf movies since have just turned werewolves into slashers.

And graboids aren't evil- they're just animals that Burt has to destroy. In keepign with that theme, a Mighty Joe Young would be pretty good!
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:36 pm

And the wolfman was very nice! I just recently watched all the Lon CHaney Jr. Wolfman movies- hadn't seen them since a kid, and now I find I am a huge fan of them. How can you not feel sorry for Larry Talbot? I wish somebody would redo the Wolfman movies with decent effects today, but still capture the tragedy of the curse. The real horror in those filmsisn't the wolfman itself, but that Talbot became cursed; it could happen to anyone. Too many werewolf movies since have just turned werewolves into slashers.

My wording was bad- what I meant was, Burt shouldn't fight the Wolf man because, even though he does go around killing people, there's nothing he can do to stop himself from it. I agree entirely with your viewpoint, although the sadness of the story tends to make me not like to watch them as much. Lon Chaney Jr. did act very well in them, in my opinion, too.

And graboids aren't evil- they're just animals that Burt has to destroy. In keepign with that theme, a Mighty Joe Young would be pretty good!

Still, Graboids are vicious, attacking and eating anything they see, whereas Mighty Joe Young tries to be friendly and help people and saves little girls from burning buildings. Mighty Joe Young is just misunderstood, Graboids are predatory carnivores.Of course, this doesn't mean that they're totally at fault- they can't help needing to kill and eat animals/people, it's in their nature. So they aren't really evil... but there's not really any redeeming traits to them. Less so than many, many universal monsters, actually. Frankenstein's monster was never malicious, he just didn't understand things and was afraid of fire- as most intelligent beings are- so it always seemed like if he'd just gotten a better chance, he might've turned out fine. The Mummy tried to use magic to reunite with the person he loved more than anything, so they could be together again, but in the process he hurt anyone who got in the way. If the two of them had just been allowed to be together in the first place, they would've had a good, happy life. The Wolf Man was just some poor guy who got bitten by a cursed wolf, causing him to periodically turn into a werewolf and lose all control of himself while he goes wild and attacks people! If it just hadn't happened to him, he was a good, caring person, who could've had a good life.

Graboids are animals who use tricks and intelligence to kill and eat anything they can find, the bigger the better, and don't do much else. There's no evidence that they think about other things or have any sort of companionship, and all their reproduction takes place just by natural growth (and in the shrieker stage, by killing and eating tons of animals/people). What's positive about them? The only argument for Graboids is that they might have some level of sentience or feeling, but still their actions never seem to be beneficial to anything but their own improvement and survival. On the other hand, that view is also skewed due to the fact that they're very much animals, with no relation to humans. We can't really comprehend everything about them, and that makes it a bit presumptuous to judge.

But for fictional purposes, monsters like Graboids are much more fun to fight and kill, because they're just nasty pretend things that kill people. Japanese monsters, Mothra aside (he only attacked when humans kidnapped the two tiny women), tend to be somewhat like this. They're big ugly monsters that kill people, so it's not really much of a moral lesson as it is simply entertaining. Some of these movies do have deeper plots and stories, like the original Godzilla, but the majority of such films fall into the less-serious category... so I'd love to see Burt and Tyler try to figure them out and blow 'em up!

And you have to admit, the special effects would be pretty easy to afford...
Action_Burt

Postby Action_Burt » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:05 am

Mitsukara wrote:But for fictional purposes, monsters like Graboids are much more fun to fight and kill, because they're just nasty pretend things that kill people. Japanese monsters, Mothra aside (he only attacked when humans kidnapped the two tiny women), tend to be somewhat like this. They're big ugly monsters that kill people, so it's not really much of a moral lesson as it is simply entertaining. Some of these movies do have deeper plots and stories, like the original Godzilla, but the majority of such films fall into the less-serious category... so I'd love to see Burt and Tyler try to figure them out and blow 'em up!

Gotta disagree with you- maybe. Do you mean that Mothra and Godzilla were just dumb animals? Mothra was sentient- remember the small twins that could talk him into fighting? ANd didn't Godzilla and all the other monsters have a kind fo sign language? (Or was that just MST3K mockign the films).

I wouldn't put Godzilla in the same category as graboids because he is intelligent- possibly sentient. Mighty Joe Young, and Long, they seem more Graboid-category. I agree that Frank's Monster, Dracula and the wolfman also don't fit that category. Still, I'd like to see Burt fight some werewolves, maybe like in the recent DOG SOLDIERS.
LadyNRA

Re: PLausible man in a rubber suit?

Postby LadyNRA » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:33 pm

Sorry, I didn't explain myself enough- I meant plausible as in the way they were presented on film. GOdzilla/Gojira the idea isn't too bad, but it was very cheesy (I like cheesy). It wouldnt mesh well with Burt- it'd ve like seeing him fight villains from the color episodes of Lost in Space.

Hey hey hey!!!! I liked Lost In Space :wink: Okay, so I still do. Must be the kid in me--which I know will be there even when I'm 80--cuz I even bought the DVDs. My younger daughters first words were common place except that she also knew Dr. Smith's name. She'd see him on TV (at about 12 months of age) point, and holler, "Mit! Mit!" Okay, so I couldn't see Burt battling LIS monsters. :D But I would love to see him have to deal with Dr. Smith! Seriously though, I liked the Godzilla/Gojira movie though I thought the creatures face was a bit bizarre (all jaw). And yeah, it would have been interesting to see him team up with the Frenchman to battle a bunch of baby Godzillas.

True, all that blood and gore. I loved the old classics. Them, The Thing, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Wolfman, The Giant Behemoth (remember Chiller Theater?)

No, I disagree here. Mighty Joe Young was also a huge favorite of mine but he wasn't evil in any way. He was just a huge gorilla that was terrified and acting aggressively because of his terror. He was used to humans, friendly to humans, and still had affection for them. If Burt went Joe-hunting, it would only be with tranquilizer darts.
"I am completely out of ammo. That's never happened to me before!"
SnapCut

Postby SnapCut » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:06 am

I would like to see Burt battling eather Alien or Predator or both :D
LadyNRA

Postby LadyNRA » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:22 am

SnapCut wrote:I would like to see Burt battling eather Alien or Predator or both :D

I agree with you :D We talked about this for a while on another thread about 6 months ago. the other things I mentioned was seeing Tremors cast blended with Eight-Legged Freaks. :wink:
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:21 pm

Gotta disagree with you- maybe. Do you mean that Mothra and Godzilla were just dumb animals? Mothra was sentient- remember the small twins that could talk him into fighting? ANd didn't Godzilla and all the other monsters have a kind fo sign language? (Or was that just MST3K mockign the films).

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I remembered to say or not, but I didn't mean to imply that Mothra wasn't sentient. Mothra generally seems good, and indeed does have some capacity for thought and communication, what with the twins. Godzilla might even be a bad cantidate for Burt, simply because he's so often shown as Tokyo's protector, battling monsters that still mean humans harm. I don't think they actually had sign language, but Godzilla did show a bit of feeling/mood in many of his appearances, especially those involving his son. But many, many monsters of the Japanese Godzilla vs. so-and-so genre are less clear. Maybe Burt Gummer vs. Monster Zero would work, or something along those lines.

I just meant Godzilla-esque stuff would mesh well with Burt because the monsters don't seem terribly serious- the afforemention early Universal horror monsters tend to have deeper, more serious stories, whereas Godzilla sequels usually just come across as lighthearted entertainment, in my personal opinion. So I can imagine Burt being contacted by the citizens of Japan, as a reputable expert in the field of monster-hunting, to come help offer aid to the Japanese army in battling the giant monster. It'd be very funny to see Burt try to fight such crazy foes, certainly.

To compare, one might say Godzilla and Mothra show sentience something along the lines of the Gillman. The Gillman shows some thought/feeling/planning in his actions, and it's clearly seen in the first film that he was most likely provoked into his attacks- protecting his habitat, and self-preservation, what with the one scientist that tried to capture him right off the bat. But the Gillman is still a good, appropriate foe for Burt, as he has the somewhat malicious nature (slaughtering the camp of natives helping out with the archeology work, for instance- unless I'm misremembering that scene). The Gillman also has a certain association to the viewer, a classic horror monster that, while ingenious in it's day, can't help but have a certain positive and even humorous skew to it- in a good way. That's just my personal opinion, but I do actually place the Gillman along similar lines to Godzilla in my mind- although a good bit more on the serious side than Godzilla.

Of course, working out a plausible storyline in which the Japanese Government would even consider, much less actually hire Burt to help battle the creature, and for Burt go all the way to Japan, and then actually be able to do anything to stop the creature that the army of Japan couldn't, is shaky at best. But it would definately be interesting... what can I say, I love campiness. ^.^
stampede

Godzilla vs. King Kong

Postby stampede » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:19 am

Just been reading some articles about Peter Jackman's remake of King Kong. I assume, not a good word, they are talking about the original. If they are perhaps you can help me since it's been so long since I've seen it-didn't King Kong battle a Godzilla type monster and also a hugh snake to claim his island. Any answers will be appreciated Thanks
LadyNRA

Re: Godzilla vs. King Kong

Postby LadyNRA » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:09 am

stampede wrote:Just been reading some articles about Peter Jackman's remake of King Kong. I assume, not a good word, they are talking about the original. If they are perhaps you can help me since it's been so long since I've seen it-didn't King Kong battle a Godzilla type monster and also a hugh snake to claim his island. Any answers will be appreciated Thanks

Yeah, I remember the snake and the dinosaur like creature. Both were going after the girl (if I remember correctly, or at least she was involved with the action somehow).

Return to “All Things Burt”