What about a new medium?

Talk About The Tremors Movies
GreenStripe

What about a new medium?

Postby GreenStripe » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:35 pm

If the current trend for video stores now is not to stock non-blockbusters; and that this is actually is causing trouble for Tremors 5; then perhaps it is time to try a new medium. What if instead of making T5 ready for video store Stampede/Universal make it ready for internet distribution. Sounds strange right? May be it is, but let us first consider how it might work. You might go to the Universal site, or may be the Stampede-entertainment site and click to the movie download site. From there you gain two options. You can download the movie for $5-$10 or buy the DVD with extras for $26. It might not be such a great idea for the moment, but given how our societies (US/Canadian) are increasingly turning to the internet and delivery services instead of going out physically, it definitely becomes a possibility. Perhaps, as an experiment, Stampede/Universal should try this process with the first four Tremors films along side some of their other titles. If it is successful and the demand is great enough, perhaps then Tremors 5 or other projects would be green lighted. Like I said, it might sound strange, but it’s a possibility.
I come in peace. Take me to your Lizard.
Action_Burt

Internet films

Postby Action_Burt » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:06 am

While film making for direct internet sales does seem logical, I don't think tremors is the right film.

Tremors fills a niche market; while there are a lot of us tremors fans, I don't think there are enough of us to make this cost-effective.

Let's crunch numbers:

if there are 10,000 online Tremors fans who would buy the downloaded movie for $5.00, that's only $50,000.00. Not much of a budget.

How much does a tremors film cost to make? $10,000,000.00? Would 2,000,000 people be willing to download it?

Tremors 2, in 1996, cost $4 million.

I think the internet-film making idea is great, but it would require a more broad-appeal film than Tremors. I think even a Star Wars film might be pushing it, as it takes a much larger budget.

Even with paid advertising- placing products and billboards in the film, I don't think download fees, or even direct sales would account for enough.

And there's also another factor to consider: How many people are willing to pay for a download, and get nothing tangible in return? At least ordering a movie online gets you tangible item to keep.
Ather

Postby Ather » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:29 pm

The companies should boycott video stores that won't offer the smaller films for a short while. The stores will cave in,r atehr than risk going out of business,a nd the co's only lose a tiny percentage of profit for a short while. The only hang up, is cpmpnaies must care about the customers.
GreenStripe

Postby GreenStripe » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:33 am

To Action_Burt,

I agree with you completely. I had considered all those points wile I was posting and also came to the same conclusion. I didn't believe that the idea was that feasible either, but thought it sounded interesting. I do agree that the budget for Tremors 5 would be too high for this form of distribution specifically, but not that people wouldn’t want to download. It’s true that data is intangible, but that doesn’t make the movie any less enjoyable. If you really want something tangible you could always burn a DVD. (I’m not mentioning any legality; people would do it anyways. Perhaps that would be another strike against.) I also mentioned people could buy the official DVD for 5 times the price; with extended features for extra incentive. But like I said, Tremors 5 would be too high priced for all of this. Still, Stampede/Universal could try this with movies they’ve already made. Perhaps with some of the older and rarer gems that have been tucked away for too long. Or as a cheaper alternative for releasing the series out to the public.

…just a thought.

To Ather,

Like I said, it’s the Trend these days for video stores not to stock. Trends change, it all depends on how the majority rent. In time people will get sick with blockbusters and start renting more B-videos for awhile and we’ll all of a sudden have more B-videos (or I guess DVD would be the case by that time) than you can shake a stick at. When that time comes Tremors 5 will stand a definite chance. Until then there’s not much we can do. Write to Universal and tell them you want to see Tremors 5. Start renting more B-movies from your local video store, even if you don’t know if you’ll like them. Go to your local video store and tell them to get more B-movies, or fill out a card for their suggestion box. And try to get other people you know to do the same. Remember, it’s not that companies don’t care about their costumers; it’s about what makes the best business sense.

Oh, and by the way. Big companies don’t seem to care about their costumers because they don’t. The People that you deal with at your local Blockbuster are just cogs in the corporate machine, and as such only do as it has been laid out for them to do by the heads of the machine. All they want is to make it to their next pay check. And far far away are the machine’s heads. They are so far away that they lose all touch with the individual costumer, and can only see the big picture…the money flow. The machine is not uncaring because it is a jerk, it simply is incapable of seeing your feelings, just how you spend your money. It can’t even see you money specifically, only the majority flow of all of its stores. If the flow is not moving in the direction you want then you have two choices. You can simple wait it out until the direction changes or you can try to change it your self by getting people to spend more money on thing closer to what you want to have instead of thing that are not. What ever you do, don’t just blame the machine for your disappointment and yell boycott. Usually, positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement.
I come in peace. Take me to your Lizard.

Return to “The Tremors Movies”