Talk About The Tremors Movies
Ather

Tremors 5: Bloodlines

Postby Ather » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:29 am

Interested how the new form fits into the lifecycle
GreenStripe

Re: Tremors 5: Bloodlines

Postby GreenStripe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 am

I believe that the graboids of this film are meant to be a sister species to the North-American graboid (hence the subtitle, "Bloodlines"). So, the new stage probably represents a different lifecycle than the one we're used to. Think of it like this, North America has alligators, but Africa has crocodiles, they're similar to each other, but Africa's version are bigger, badder and different.

PS: Am I the only fan who still believes graboids are Cephalopods? The trailer uses the term worm again, and I'm bothered that people genuinely seem to think that's true.
I come in peace. Take me to your Lizard.
Ather

Postby Ather » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 am

Well, they have been called worms since the first one. Also, briefly mentioned as a bit reptillian in 3 I think it was.
GreenStripe

Postby GreenStripe » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Ather wrote:Well, they have been called worms since the first one. Also, briefly mentioned as a bit reptillian in 3 I think it was.

I equate that to people calling pandas bears or calling bats birds or whales fish. Sometimes, people just don't know what they are saying. Since graboids are invertebrates, it's impossible for them to be reptiles. I also doubt they're worms. They don't seem to share any morphological traits with worms. Sure, they borrow under ground and have elongated bodies like worms, but that's not enough of a similarity to accurately define them as worms. The cephalopod explanation fits a lot better, and is a lot stranger...which I think makes it cooler. I don't mind people off handedly calling them worms from time to time, but I would love it if at some point in the movies some egghead clearly states, "Actually, they're cephalopods." That way, It would be established as cannon.
I come in peace. Take me to your Lizard.
Ather

Postby Ather » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 am

Unfortunately, I think canon is they're giant prehistoric worms. After the reptilian comment, I began referring to them as reptilian worms. But alas, that sounds way cooler than what we've got. Which is not a reptilian worm at all. :mrgreen:
AdamantEG

Postby AdamantEG » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm

GreenStripe wrote:I believe that the graboids of this film are meant to be a sister species to the North-American graboid (hence the subtitle, "Bloodlines"). So, the new stage probably represents a different lifecycle than the one we're used to. Think of it like this, North America has alligators, but Africa has crocodiles, they're similar to each other, but Africa's version are bigger, badder and different.

PS: Am I the only fan who still believes graboids are Cephalopods? The trailer uses the term worm again, and I'm bothered that people genuinely seem to think that's true.

You're right. If you think about it, I'm confident the African-Graboids are just something more adapted to less desert environments and more forest/rainforest. We've typically seen them in the desert or in prairies/grasslands, never an environment like this movie. I'll actually give Universal props -- They may have handled it flawlessly without tying in Stampede, but I could see Stampede actually having done something like this. I'm sure they're taking cues from the 'recycled' script they used from the original Tremors 5 draft.

Given that they're Precambrian, which, reading your posts and seeing how intelligent you are with the references, you know how old that makes them. Suffice to say, them being the 'oldest' organism on the planet, aside from few exceptions, it makes sense they'd adapt to different environments and this could be a different tree. AssBlasters using an aerial component in a desert makes sense, since it's open. In a forest? Yeah, no. A ground-variant for that type of environment like the one we may have seen makes more sense.

Heck, if anything, compare it to the Megalodon and Great White shark. Wihle it's disputed which tree the Megalodon is located on, it's usually placed in the 'Carcharadon' which is the same as Great White Shark's. Most scientists say it was an identical cousin separated by a few things -- The size, teeth size, bite radius, and just overall the dietary consumption. Not necessarily in the same sense, since these Graboids would be more like siblings, as you said, but I do think that's kinda' an apt way to put it.

Unfortunately, I think canon is they're giant prehistoric worms. After the reptilian comment, I began referring to them as reptilian worms. But alas, that sounds way cooler than what we've got. Which is not a reptilian worm at all.

...Kinda, I think. Precambrian goes back, oh, I want to say... A good 4.3 billion years or so, to about 450-600 million years ago. Although, the entire origin of a Graboid is entirely impossible, given back then, there would be almost a scarce food source for Graboids, meaning, they're not very populated.

Also, am I the only one who gets the vibe from the trailer this isn't going to be as humor-centric as the first four, or the series? I know that was Stampede's touch, but still, it just feels like they're alienating the whole, "doesn't take itself seriously" touch from the movie. I'm a bit mixed on the 'epic and gritty' feel, but damn... Gross nailed it as Burt. "Sure as hell ain't Mickey Mouse."

As mixed as I am on the trailer, I do hope the movie does well. Burt's usually serious, which is what the humor comes from, since he's stone-faced as some joke gets made. I think Gross pulled this movie off. I know it's jumping ahead since he had only a few lines, but we've had four-movies and a series with him in the same role (Hiram, I know, isn't Burt). So we all know he'll deliver. He hasn't played Burt for 15 years, but the indication of the trailer put any doubt in my mind.

I just hope this doesn't get panned. Lol

Return to “The Tremors Movies”