Desktop Themes

Talk About The Tremors Movies
Dan2278

Desktop Themes

Postby Dan2278 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:02 am

Hey everyone. I have a question. Does anyone have any experience with making desktop themes? I came up with the idea to create some Tremors desktop themes but I've never done it before. Creating desktop wallpaper isn't hard, but I've never created any sort of icons before. Adding sound effects seems to be out of the question. I've e-mailed Stampede about my idea & they seemed to like it, but they said... "To stay in good graces with Universal we have opted not to use any audio or video from the films on our site (like all copyright respecting web sites should do) so using sound bites from the film as SFX are not an option for us"... Thats a direct quote from the e-mail I got back from them. I think it would still be something fun to do even wound sound effects. What does everyone else think of the idea & Has anyone else ever done it before?
Great White Graboid

Postby Great White Graboid » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:13 am

Good idea, although I've never done it before so I wouldn't know how to do it exactly.
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
Ather

Postby Ather » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:30 pm

There are icon creators, go google them. Recycle bin would be fun. Have a Shrieker, and when you put trash in it, it swtiches to two, like they reproduced from eating your deleted files.
Dan2278

Postby Dan2278 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:44 am

I like your idea about the recycle bin/shrieker, ather. As for icon creators, I have found several online. Unfortunately you have to buy them after trying them for 30 days.....keep the ideas & suggestions comming & if anyone can create Desktop Icons please speak up!
Action_Burt

Making your own icons

Postby Action_Burt » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:19 am

I think all you have to do (for XP anyway) to make an icon is to save it as a BMP file, then right click on the icon you want to change, choose PROPERTIES, then change icon, and search for the BMP file you want- however, make sure you make the bmp small and SQUARE, so it doesn't get distorted.

As for making custom themes- just import files you want, put them in the right theme folder, and make the changes yourself.

(I have scooby doo sounds at work for example, but didn't do it as a theme)
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:25 pm

There are a few programs made for creating desktop icons as .ico files, which can be used for any shorcuts or set for the My Computer/My Documents/Recycle Bin/etc. icons. Most of these are not freeware, but some do not have a 30-day trial limitation. I use a (somewhat old) program called TakeONE, which can create 256-color icons and used properly won't distort the pallette of an image loaded into it, but rather loads a pallette based on the file's original colors. However, it's a little tricky knowing how to use it properly, and I'm not sure how easy it is to find this program anymore.

However, if anyone has some pictures ready (keep in mind that icons almost always must be reduced to a 32x32 pixels size), I'd be happy to set some up and put them up for download temporarily so someone else could download them and use them/put them up for download themselves, or whatever they wish to do with. You might also trying looking for TakeONE or similar progams, there should still be something available that works to this purpose.

Windows XP has a "thumbnail view" option, which allows you to load a picture for a folder or program's icon. This works with nearly any picture, no matter the format, but as there is no such function on older versions of Windows... .ico files or .ibl icon libraries (which are somewhat uncommon, it seems) would be neccesary for older versions of Windows.

Incidentally, it's also possible to make custom mouse cursors (which are also generally 32x32 pixels large, although they don't usually take up that entire space). TakeONE works for this.

I hope this information is helpful- I think there are likely much better and newer progams, and probably some that do not have trial-period limitations, that would work for these purposes than TakeONE, but it works for my purposes, so I've stuck to it. *shrugs*

As you said, desktop wallpaper shouldn't be too hard- you'll probably want to use JPEG files, as BMP files take up much more space/memory, especially at the kind of sizes that would normally be used for wallpaper. Generally, you'll probably want to make sure any wallpaper you make is either 640x480 pixels, 800x600 pixels, or 1024x768 pixels, otherwise it'll likely have to be stretched for people to use it. Some people do use larger resolutions- I prefer to use 1280x1024- but I don't think this is quite so common as the other three.

What kind of pictures do you think would work well for wallpapers, though? Are pictures from the movies (not neccesarily screen shots- photos and promotion pictures tend to work better) allowed here? I'd imagine it would be fine on fan sites, but I don't know where Stampede stands on copyright matters. *shrugs*
Ather

Postby Ather » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:15 pm

Actualy, if you cna get a good looking pic at the small size required, just save it as a .ico and it'll work fine. I learned htis form a trick for getting your webpage to dispaly a custom icon in people's IO favorites, and this worked on Windows 98SE.

TRhe trick is getting a nice image at a small size. Might just need a Graboid head for the recycling bin.
Dan2278

Postby Dan2278 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:50 am

I just wanted to check in with everyone & let you all know I'm still working on those desktop themes I posted about a couple weeks ago. I'm still working on icons (I didn't realize how hard they are to make lol) & also looking for some sfx ( Burts guns being shot, graboid, shrieker & AB screams etc) to include in the themes. In my last e-mail to stampede about creating the themes, they said that as long as I didn't use actors voices then including sound effects would be fine....If anyone has any & would like to contribute let me know. Thanks
TREMORSFREAK

Postby TREMORSFREAK » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:07 pm

Im making a theme to and im pretty far

Ill tell you when im finished but it may still take awile because I have to get sounds from the series.
TREMORSFREAK

Postby TREMORSFREAK » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

sorry but I got bored with it and I stoped on it. I havent deleted it so I might pick up where I left off some day.

Return to “The Tremors Movies”