A theory on the graboids' origin

Talk About The Tremors Movies
Great White Graboid

A theory on the graboids' origin

Postby Great White Graboid » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:01 am

I was thinking the other day, and I thought of something that could be possible for the origin of the graboid species.

When the Earth wasn't completely solidified, an asteroid with simple one celled organisms crashed into it, causing millions of them to be left on the earth. When animals and different species started to form from many of those organisms, one specific one was the result of different cells joining together. The result- a baby graboid, the only current living one. At the time however, the many other animals on the earth were compeing with the graboids, who had not gained the full 30 ft length yet, and remained 5 to six feet long. A few dozen may have came, but they quickly died off from being killed by other animals, since they lacked formidable defense skills and intelligence. Only about ten remained maybe, so they found a way to increase their life expectancy, by growing into larger adult forms, thus gaining bettered inttelligence and defense. Still however, they weren't exactly the best species on the planet, since dinosaurs had finally came. Many of them were killed by the larger dino's, namely the T-rex, and thus few graboids remained. The remaining ones again showed signs of evolution, and again found a way to survive, but metamorphosing into shriekers. The shriekers did better in their environment than the graboids with their hightened skills and intelligence, but they still barely survived with no way to procriate. Thus, they shed their skin and became AB's, who gained the ability to lay eggs and produce many graboids. The graboid species then climbed into the peek of the food chain, rivaling even the most powerful dinosaurs and prehistoric beasts. Their intelligence grew so high that they can now fool humans like present time. The other dinosaurs were killed by the graboids, shriekers, and AB's, and thus that's why the dinosaur species dissapeared from the planet. So they were the dominant animals of the time. I can't remember when the ice age came, but if it was after the dinosaurs the it would continue like this.

The ice age arrived and most of the creatures died off, except for four graboids, which lay dormant underground, near what today is Perfection Valley Nevada. Others lived underground to, but not as many, near what would become the oil refinery in T-2. The ice age ceased, and when man first came to Earth they didn't know about the graboids since they still laid dormant underground. We continued to live normally with the animals present today, never knowing about the graboids.

It became 1989, and finally, the graboids' long sleep was done. They awoke, only to be disadvantaged however because their long sleep had rendered them forgetful of their metamorphosing and hunting skills, and that's why they never changed in T-1. To hunt humans, they had to gradually learn their skills back, as discovered by the people in T-1, that they do get smarter. Their future generations would inhabit all of their skills, and then they would become normal yet deadly graboids with all three stages. That's why in T-2 they would finally gain their metamorphoing abilities, and finally in T-3, they would have fully gained all of their abilities back.

Phew, that was alot of writing!
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
Action_Burt

Graboids in Time

Postby Action_Burt » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:34 pm

My short reply: Writer's or actor's mistake, and Graboids are not Precambrian, but rather Devonian.

Long Answer:

There are numerous geologic ages;

Precambrian refers to a period of 543 to 5400 million years ago. Not much living back then; tiny stuff. WAY before the dinosaurs.

The paleozoic era was next, at 248 to 543 mill. It is subdivided into the
Cambrian: 490 to 543 mill.years ago.
Ordovician: 490 to 543 mill
Silurian: 417 to 443 mill.
Devonian: 354 to 417 mill.
Carboniferous: 290 to 354 mill.
Permian: 248 to 290 mill.

Next is the Mesozoic Era- the Age of the Dinosaurs (65 mill to 248 mill years ago); subdivided into the Triassic (206 tp 248), Jurassic (144 to 206) and Cretaceous (65 to 144).

Finally there was the Cenozoic Era: 65 mill years ago to today.

I serious doubt anything as big as a graboid could have been around pre-cambrian. It seems more likely to me that such a creature is a remnant of the Mesozoic Era, or even the Devonian Age (liek the creature from the Black Lagoon). There are all kind of neat sea beasts form the Devonian- including a whale who's skull looks a lot liek a graboid.

But what abotu Kate's claim? Well, Kate was a geologist- not a paleontologist. Maybe she was wrong. Also, she found the fossil in pre-cambrian rock. Well, graboids move through the earth. Perhaps that graboid moved through a section of ground that had been churned up by an earlier meteor strike and died in soil uplifted from it's original sedimentary layer. It just died in pre-cambrian rock.

Did Kate ever carbon-14 the fossil? And even if she did, Carbon-14 is not always right. Living creatures have been C14'd to be 28,000 years old. The inaccuracies and guess work of this field of science is what gives creationists a lot of ammunition to use in arguments with Evolutionists. Neither side can truly PROVE their theories, because they can't go back in time to see what happened. Both sides use their faith in thier beliefs, and use evidence that supports those beliefs to "prove" their theories.

In other words, we still don't know when Graboids came from. That's why I love that line- because it still could have been an other-worldly graboid who died on earth.

Stampede- you reading? Can we get an actual age or Era to be official?
Ather

Postby Ather » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:39 pm

They awoke, only to be disadvantaged however because their long sleep had rendered them forgetful of their metamorphosing and hunting skills, and that's why they never changed in T-1.

That is scientifically imposible. it's a natural metamorphesis, and can't be forgotten. maybe it tkaes several days, maybe they hit a spot of buried radioactive stuff and got delayed.

And you forgot to include T4 in your theory, which changes everything.

I always liked the idea a bunch of worms got super radiated during the ABomb tests, and slowly mutated over 50 or so years into Graboids.
benny_the_graboid_slayer

Postby benny_the_graboid_slayer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:19 pm

Maybe they're descended from the giant Orthocones cephalopods of the Ordovician seas. The Tremors the Series site at Sci-Fi.com came up with the theory. Lets just say that over millions of years the outer tentacles fused & hardened into the Graboid beak, while the grabbing tentacles eveolved into the toungue mouths. Also, in response to moving onto dry land, the shell softened into the Graboid body. The chambers in the shell would evolve into the compartments that house the Shriekers. Though that wouldn't explain the scaley hide, but its still an idea.
Action_Burt

Graboid origins

Postby Action_Burt » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:34 am

Okay, I'll tell you guys the truth...

Graboids are really genetic constructs of the mighty Altrusian civilization.

They were created to burrow deep tunnels in the Land of the Lost, but overthrew their Sleestak masters and escaped to our world.

Sing it with me...

"Burt, Val and Earl, on a routine expedition...

Met the greatest earth worm, ever known.

High in Perfection, it struck their tiny truck,

And plunged them down a thousand feet below...

to the Land of the Lost

to the Land of the Lost

to the Land of the Lost"

For you whippersnappers too young too know what I'm talking about, it's quite simply the cheesiest show of the 1970s:

http://www.landofthelost.com

And it's coming to DVD!

Long live Chaka!
Great White Graboid

Postby Great White Graboid » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:47 am

Ather wrote:
They awoke, only to be disadvantaged however because their long sleep had rendered them forgetful of their metamorphosing and hunting skills, and that's why they never changed in T-1.

That is scientifically imposible. it's a natural metamorphesis, and can't be forgotten. maybe it tkaes several days, maybe they hit a spot of buried radioactive stuff and got delayed.

And you forgot to include T4 in your theory, which changes everything.

I always liked the idea a bunch of worms got super radiated during the ABomb tests, and slowly mutated over 50 or so years into Graboids.

Thanks Ather, I completely forgot about T-4. I guess during 1889 the four graboids may have survived long enough till' 1989?
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
Ather

Postby Ather » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:34 pm

Though that wouldn't explain the scaley hide

That's just scray. Eveyrbody fears scaly creature sin movies. or else, whatever reason ea creature have scales, they did too.

And LOTL wans't the cheesiest one. Liddsville was. Hat people living in a world inside a magic hat? and named for drugs. LOTL got remade in the 90's. It was a poorer version, butt he Sleezstacks looked like dino people, and not rubebr masked alien dudes. Quick, grab some fire. The rubber heads are slowly approaching us, looking all fake and obviosuly people dressed up.

Course, 90's had their truck, so...

The Lost Saucer rocked too.

Maybe Sigmund had some unevolved Graboids for pets.
Shadoe

Re: Graboid origins

Postby Shadoe » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:17 pm

Action_Burt wrote:For you whippersnappers too young too know what I'm talking about, it's quite simply the cheesiest show of the 1970s:
http://www.landofthelost.com
And it's coming to DVD!

I loved that show! Never missed it! It was cheesy.

Though, Liddsville.... Kinda hard to fight with that one.

I'll have to get it when it comes out on DVD. I can put it next to my Banana Splits DVD. :)
frobnik

Postby frobnik » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:44 am

Hello everyone,

i'm new to this board so first i'd like to introduce myself :)

Sorry for my broken english, that's not my native language.

i'm studying interactive media and currently i work on an Short Infographic-Animation about Graboids. During my research i thought it would be helpful to ask the fanbase about details.

so here i am and bringing up this old topic.

today i thougt about the orgin of graboids. What did you think about this theorie, i keep it short:

- the Graboids are an extraterrestrial life-form and came to earth like descriped in this Hypothesis: Panspermia
- Graboids evolve to this big worms during Precambrian. Deep underground they got great resistance agains variation in temperature and big pressure
- underground, they could survive the iceage and asteroid impacts
- the changing climate let them move up
- eating people and animals, flooded them with so many vitamins that Graboids evolve to shriekers and so on

another point i'd like to ask you: i read that the graboid is based on the mongolian deathworm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graboids). i think there are not realy connections between both, so i think wikipedia is wrong in this case.

kind regards
Frank
Ather

Postby Ather » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 am

They're not aliens. They're local boys.
Action_Burt

Devonian era creatures

Postby Action_Burt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 am

Tremors was an attempt to recreate the B Movie monsters of the 50s.

The last Universal Monster was the Gillman. He is from the DEVONIAN era.

Ergo, the Graboids are from the Devonian era. Still not convinced, check out this image of a Devonian whale and tell me it's skull isn't weirdly reminiscent of a graboid:

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/20 ... period.jpg

Those jaws sure remind me of a Shrieker, and the armored head- clearly a cousin of the graboid...
project412

Postby project412 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 am

Wow...very similar to the Graboid indeed.
frobnik

Postby frobnik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:42 am

hey thanks,

ok i see there a too many theories about the origin, recently i found this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/giantworms/theories.html

so i think there is no correct answer and i will not make another attemp in my project :)
benny_the_graboid_slayer

Postby benny_the_graboid_slayer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Um Dunkleosteus is a placoderm fish not a whale. It was about the size of a whale though.
To me from Tremors star Ariana Richards
responding to my wishes for her birthday (9/20/05)

What an absolute delight to read your note. Thank you for all the wonderful complements I adore flattery (whoops) I mean, thank you so much.

Return to “The Tremors Movies”