The Underwater Graboid Theory

Talk About The Tremors Movies
Graboidologist

The Underwater Graboid Theory

Postby Graboidologist » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:51 pm

It is common knowledge that many people expected to see an underwater evolution in the Graboid lifecycle. However, the lifecylce now appears complete:
Egg>Mini Graboid>Graboid>Shreiker>AB>Egg
So there appears to be no place for an underwater Graboid.

However, I have done a bit of studying, and I believe that Graboids do not need a new, underwater evolution. Just as they are, Graboids would make one of the deadliest underwater creatures.

Lets say, for example, that a Graboid is traveling through the dirt, and all of a sudden it punches through dirt and into a lake. What would happen?
Lets examine the structure of the Graboid to find out.

The Spines-The spines on the sides of the Graboid are excellent for for pushing it through the dirt, but underwater the spines would cause a swimming effect. All those spines moving at once could get the Graboid, underwater, to reach speeds rivaling that of his underground speed.

Oxygen-There is obvoiusly little air underground, but the graboids function well. Perhaps they can breath through their tounges, but the snakes aren't always aboveground. This implies that Graboids can hold their breath for extended periods of time. Underwater they would function much like a whale, holding their breath until they can come up for air.

Sound-This is obviously an important part, because Graboids hunt by sound. Underwater, sound carries as well as, if not better, than through the air. A whale's song can be heard from miles away. A Graboid could obviously hear well underwater; perhaps so well that it would hurt, like a home-made bomb.

All that, coupled with their large size(they're bigger than the shark in Jaws) and their abnormally high intelegence(they're always learning), they would be the most dangerous creature in the water, as well as being the most dangerous creature on land.

So, what would happen if a Graboid punched through the dirt and into a lake? It would easilly swim to the other side, or turn around and go back. It's not a cliff, after all :D

I think it would be an awesome scene if someone was running from a Graboid and jumped into the water and started to swim to get away; then the Graboid bust into the water and keep coming after him. Scary.
Maybe if the series was still on, El Blonco could have gone after one of those giant shrimps.
Great White Graboid

Postby Great White Graboid » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:58 am

That's a very interesting theory, but ultimately i think stampede wouldn't go for another stage, as we all already know and love the 3 current life cycles of the graboid. Now if that ability was a result of mixmaster fusing with a graboid....that could be interesting. :D
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
tremorsmovies

Postby tremorsmovies » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:59 am

Personally, I think the series and the movies should stay completely seperate. There are fans out there who haven't seen the series... only the movies. There are also fans out there who have seen both, but are true movie fans at heart. I think that it would be a huge mistake on Stampede's part to bring them together, because somehow the series did feel very seperated from the movies. I didn't like it myself because I felt that it just didn't do Tremors the justice that it deserves!

I also can't picture a Graboid in water myself. They're about the desert and dirt and to take them away from this environment would take away some of their character. And then after a Graboid, what next? Would we have Ass Blasters flying in and landing on water like ducks? I sure hope not! I think Tremors should stick to what it is! Rather than trying to turn it into something that it is not. Let's not forget the reasons why we all fell in love with the first movie!

Tom
Filth Dragon

Postby Filth Dragon » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:11 am

Hi all!

This is a very interesting theory Graboidologist.

Why I like it is because it doesn't involve a new stage in the graboid lifecycle, nor does it rely on some weird mutation.
It's just a feature that was never seen onscreen because there has simply been no relevant environment/condition yet.

The Spines-The spines on the sides of the Graboid are excellent for for pushing it through the dirt, but underwater the spines would cause a swimming effect. All those spines moving at once could get the Graboid, underwater, to reach speeds rivaling that of his underground speed.

I'm not sure about the spines though, but what I think the graboids would do is to ondulate like some snakes do when simming underwater or at the surface of a pond for example. That way, their whole body would create a forward motion.

Oxygen-There is obvoiusly little air underground, but the graboids function well. Perhaps they can breath through their tounges, but the snakes aren't always aboveground. This implies that Graboids can hold their breath for extended periods of time. Underwater they would function much like a whale, holding their breath until they can come up for air.

Very good point.
I think that the dirt dragons and their younger counterparts (let's say grabites) would hold breath and use store important amounts of air to remain at the surface or, at least, manage to get back to the surface quicker.
I mention this function because weight is something that would worry me. Okay, whales are pretty heavy, but their body is obviously well adapted to their environment.
Dirt dragons might need to always be in motion underwater.

Sound-This is obviously an important part, because Graboids hunt by sound. Underwater, sound carries as well as, if not better, than through the air. A whale's song can be heard from miles away. A Graboid could obviously hear well underwater; perhaps so well that it would hurt, like a home-made bomb.

It all depends if their organs are ok for underwater pressures and such.
But if they are, then they could work even better underwater! :)

Now a few personnal points.

I think that the smaller the dirt dragon, the better it could swim, and possibly the deeper it could go. An adult dirt dragon might not be able to go deeper than ten meters.

Actually, we could see a dirt dragon just after hatching, moving like a little snake.

*\
**\
***\
****|
***/
**/
*/

Now, about possible plots where the graboids could display such a feature...

People are worried that putting the graboids away from the hot and dry deserts would depart too much from the franchise's spirit.
Well, I'm a true fan of hot and harsh places full of dirt and sand when they are used in films, and that's possibly why the first film worker so much on me (and later on Pitch Black and Starship Troopers).
But I think that only ONE exception to the rule wouldn't hurt, and it wouldn't necessarily need to be totally aqua-orientated.
There could be a precise moment when in the middle of a flat out desertic environment, a dirt dragon may jump out from a river, like the Rio Grande for example.
In fact, you could see the graboids using rivers to access places with softer soils they couldn't reach because of large and natural rocky barriers.
Or it could be a lake, with an island in the middle.

On another note, there could be a plot taking place in some kind of arctic location.
Dirt Dragons, maybe a variant which quickly adapted to the cold temperature, would dig through snow and ice (well, ice would clearly slow them down, but it wouldn't be as hard as stone), and they'd swim under the ice cap, furiously breaking it where it would be thin enough.
Thus you'd have a completely new environment and still have tremors all over the place because of the dirt dragons shaking the frozen landscape and moving through the snow and the ice to hunt preys.
Graboidologist

Postby Graboidologist » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:24 pm

Great White Graboid wrote:That's a very interesting theory, but ultimately i think stampede wouldn't go for another stage, as we all already know and love the 3 current life cycles of the graboid. Now if that ability was a result of mixmaster fusing with a graboid....that could be interesting. :D

What I was trying to say is that the Graboids wouldn't need another stage to go underwater. They could do it just fine as they are.
Action_Burt

Swimming with Graboids

Postby Action_Burt » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:27 pm

I agree with the idea- don't mutate the graboid for water. The main thrill of the graboid was that it was under ground where you couldn't see it. Having it swimming would make it just another sea monster.

On the idea of swimming graboids...

I think they'd tend to sink- they have to be pretty dense to push through soil so easily.

The spines would be pretty useless in water- try swimming by using just your fingers. Use those same fingers to pull yourself across a waxed floor. They wouldn't work.

However, the graboid is large, and has a good tail- maybe it could swim like a croc- if it didn't have a tendency to sink.

As for not drowing.. I dunno. Worms don't get much air in dirt, but if you put them in water, they drown quite rapidly., Dirt doesn't seep in, where water does. Try this ecperiment- bury a sponge. Does it abosrb dirt? No, but it will absorb water.

I like the idea of the tentacles "breathing". I also like to think of graboids churning through mud.

I hope we get to see this in the next film.

And for mutations, I'd like to see the shriekers born pre-adapted to their enviroment. So far, we've only seen shriekers born in the hot desert. What if they were born in the jungle? Or a creekbed?
Ather

Postby Ather » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:45 pm

Dirt dragons might need to always be in motion underwater.

Sharks are like that, to breathe. I heard earthworms absorb oxygen through their skin. If Graboids are like that, and assuming they could absorb oxygen via water, they'd have to always be moving. So, imagine Burt goes whaling for Graboids, and much like in T4, hooks a big one, but rather than drag it into a saw, holds it until ti drowns. This then gives him an oppurtunity to sell it to the gov for study, and make back all his lost income.

Since T4 showed ehta is needed to hatch Grabbites, I don't think they could survive in the cold, much less hatch.
Filth Dragon

Postby Filth Dragon » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:10 am

The riples happen as well in air, but you don't see them, and they expand like a sphere because you're throwing a stone from within the medium, or may I say fluid, not hitting its surface (like throwing a stone in a pond).
Filth Dragon

Postby Filth Dragon » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:04 pm

linx05 wrote:
Filth Dragon wrote:The riples happen as well in air, but you don't see them, and they expand like a sphere because you're throwing a stone from within the medium, or may I say fluid, not hitting its surface (like throwing a stone in a pond).
Graboid's are underground creatures. They feel for vibrations through the ground. It would be a lot easier for them to pin point a potential meal by feeling the vibrations through the ground, not the water. I think it would totally confuse them.

Well, the sound would only travel faster in a solid medium, but in the end, the graboid, through circling around the source of waves, would finally reach the target. It would just take longer, but on the same time could be used to build tension, as you're not able to run underwater.
So the dirt dragon would take more time to spot its prey and catch it, but on the same time, a human would move really slowly underwater.

I also think that if a plot had to involve dirt dragons (and their young version) swimming through water, they should still be close solid surfaces.
That's why I find the idea of graboids swimming under ice caps interesting. This way, the graboids could spot a prey running on the ice and break said ice.

Another possibility would have the action taking place somewhere around tropical islands, in lagoons, with houses built on piles. As people would be running on the wooden bridges, the piles would transmit the vibrations into the water. Then the graboids, moving inside the water or within the sand at the bottom of the lagoon, would start to destroy said piles and would make the houses and bridges to collapse and sink, taking people along.

A bit off-topic, but what about a snowy scenery, or even a story happening in amazonia. Would be fun to see the dirt dragons smahsing trees down...
toernado

breathing

Postby toernado » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:07 am

To see an underwater graboid would be awesome and all the ideas sound good about it. The tentacles breathing is a interesting idea but what about as the graboid is travelling through the ground and comes to the surface of the ground, like a whale does in water, could it be breathing then? Maybe it would come up to the surface like a whale does in water.

Return to “The Tremors Movies”