Time for a Reboot?

Talk About The Tremors Movies
Action_Burt

Time for a Reboot?

Postby Action_Burt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:24 am

I keep seeing arguments here about whether or not Tremors should be remade.

I think it should- under a different name.

Universal owns the rights to the Tremors movies, the characters and even the monsters. But what about the core concepts of the movies/series?

An underground monster. We've seen plenty of those.

A survivalist. There ARE plenty of those.

A tour of monster area- also been done.

I propose Stampede create a new, similar monster franchise, as an homage to their own earlier creation, but that they retain the rights.

An improvement to the old "Tremors" in much the way relaunches change things.

Oh, sure we all love Burt Gummer, but why not a similar character, with a different name, but improved. Look at the fan commentary and find out what the fans didn't like about Burt.

The only drawback I see to this is that Stampede might be stereotyping themselves as monster makers. But is that really so wrong?
project412

Postby project412 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:59 am

NO. Definitely not. Way to many movies are being remade/rebooted nowadays... I do not want to see a remake or reboot of Tremors. I would prefer a Tremors 5, just to give the series a proper ending (I love all the movies/episodes, but the series ended abruptly with out any real closure. The series as a whole, movies and tv episodes, never really ended.) If Stampede wants to do another monster movie, I would much rather see Night Crew. Based on what they said about that, it sounded great! If stampede ever did reboot Tremors I would give it a try, though there is no way it would ever hold up to the originals. I f anyone but Stampede did it, I would not even try and watch it. I grew up with Tremors, and a remake is the last thing I want to see.
timforston

Postby timforston » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 am

amen 4-12 a-freakin-men

[/quote]
Action_Burt

New monsters...

Postby Action_Burt » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Sorry, didn't articulate that well enough...

The problem with Tremors is Universal owns the rights, not Stampede.

So why not have Stampede take the original idea- land sharks- and start something new, but in the style of, and with obvious homages to, Tremors.

sure, we'd all love to see Tremors come back, but that ain't happening.

Let me give some examples of this:

Ever see a dtv flick called "Dr. Modred"? Clearly a rip off of Dr. Strange, but by a different company. Captured the idea of Dr. Strange, without being Dr. Strange. Wasn't half-bad, either.

How about a flick called "Under Seige"? Clearly a rip off of Die Hard. Didn't have the sustained franchose power of Bruce willis' flicks, but I kinda like the first Under Siege better than any of the Die Hards...

How about "Darkman", a clear homage to The Shadow, but without violating any copyrights.

What I'm suggesting is we let sleping graboids lay, and look to a new franchise that is just as good. And that can be done- looke at "Lake Placid" (but not the sequel). Great flick, CLEARLY emulating Tremors.
Ather

Postby Ather » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:09 am

If Stampede did that, they'd lose all crediblity, because they'd be ripping off their own movie. Syfy tried this with terminators. I lasted about 5 minutes before I fled to another channel. And I knew going in it was a ripoff, a poor man's Terminator.

Stampede can make any movie theyw ant. Why reinvent the wheel? Tremors ahd the right magic of script and actors. Goodluck repeating that. it's as ridiculosua s Sony rebooting Spider-man, and proudly procloiaming how wonderful it is that they can strike gold twice. Before they even made the reboot, let aloen saw box office receipts.
project412

Postby project412 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:32 am

Agreed. I'm getting really sick of reboots/remakes. I on;y enjoyed a few (War of the Worlds/King Kong 2005/The Incredible Hulk). I say leave Tremors and make a sequel.

now, if Stampede wants a monster movie with Tremors homages, I'm all for that. Maybe they can be incorporated into Night Crew?

Return to “The Tremors Movies”