Graboids in other environments

Talk About The Tremors Movies
Overkill

Graboids in other environments

Postby Overkill » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:25 pm

I had this thought the oher day, we have all seen graboids in a desert like habitat. Even the shreikers in Night of hte Shreikers were retreived from the Sahara Desert.

So, does environment have anything to do with the location of graboids? Could a graboid exist underground if the ground above it was freezing and snowing? If it could, that would make a great episode in the series. Then what if it was in a swampy tropical environment? With large pockets of then water and alot of movement in them how would it work?

Eh this was just one of my random Tremors thoughts.
project412

Postby project412 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:46 am

Maybe it could work, but then the series might lose that Deserty-Underground-Monster feel. I've always imagined Graboids underwater, but I'm not sure how it would work.
Overkill

Postby Overkill » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:56 am

I can't really see them underwater, cause a "sand-whale" might be abit to heavy to float, much less move in water.

I do like the dry theme of the movies, but you can't help but wonder the other possiblites.

We do know rain would mess with a graboid's hearing, but what about snow? And if it did not bother the graboid, would it be able to not freeze if it breached from the ground?
Ather

Postby Ather » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 am

According to Stampede's FAQ, no. Grabpids need loose soil, hence why none ever pop up in Bixby. I think the cold is too cold, and can't breathe in water.
rawen100

Postby rawen100 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:59 am

And that's probably where the assblasters abilty to glide comes from, getting to other places with loose soils. Sort of like flying from island to island.
Proud owner of:
Italian Tremors: The Legacy, US Tremors: Attack Pack (4 movies), US singles 1-4,
Norwegian rental version of Tremors 4, both Norwegian double packs,
US Tremors HD-DVD, 2 UK Tremors HD-DVD, 2 US Tremors the Series DVD, US Tremors LD
project412

Postby project412 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 am

Right. It is fun to imagine these possibilities (I know I do), but they just wouldn't be logical.

As we know, a Graboid Egg needs heat to hatch. So even if an AB laid and egg in a cold environment, it would never hatch. That is probably the reason they are equipped to fly.

When you think about it, the Graboid is, in a sense, a perfect organism.

The Graboid eggs can lay dormant for hundreds of years. Once hatched, Graboids are one of the most efficient hunters on earth. They have the perfect element of surprise, being under the ground. When the Graboid is ready to die naturally, it contributes to the life of its species. The Shriekers emerge from the Graboid, and this is now the breeding stage. The goal of the Shrieker is to eat and reproduce as much as possible before their transformation. Once they transform into ABs, they are gifted with the ability to glide and the ability to lay eggs. Since the ABs can glide, they can be sure to put the egg in the perfect location. When the egg hatches, the process starts all over again.

Ather

Postby Ather » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:21 am

Until you're overrun by Graboids, who eat all life on the planet, then the next gen dies.

Return to “The Tremors Movies”