Create a new graboid stage

Talk About The Tremors Movies
Great White Graboid

Create a new graboid stage

Postby Great White Graboid » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:16 pm

Try to think of a new graboid stage in it's life cycle which hasn't been done already. You could include a discription of it and what it's strengths and weaknesses are.

I had an idea earlier about a stage where the creature can go above or below ground seemlessly.

Example:

Name: Shriekoid (fused together with graboid and shrieker maybe?)

Description: this life cycle stage occurs when a graboid is metamorphosing but some of it's genes are carried into the shriekers accidentally. The result is a creature that has same look as the shriekers, but they grow extra appendages and "subterranean" vision to help them hunt underground and on land. They're very deadly as they can see heat and can hear sound acutly, but their weakness would be that their obviously still not as durable as the graboids, and thus can be dispatched like regular shriekers, using proper battle tactics. You would have to watch your heat emission and the sound you make, making shriekoids very deadly predators.
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
GreenStripe

Postby GreenStripe » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:49 pm

Interesting Idea, but there are two problem with that Idea.

First: Graboids don't really turn into Shriekers they more or less give birth to them. An adult Graboid caries with itself three birthing sacks. Inside each sack lies one growing Shrieker embreo. When the baby Sriekers have fully guestated they begin to eat there way out, devouring their parant Graboid in their morbid birthing prossess. It is also the opinion of some that if the parant has grown fat enough, the baby Shriekers could eat enough of the parrant to perform their asexual reproduction. This woul explain way sometimes there are tree Shriekers, and other times six.

Second, or at least in my oppinion: There are enough stages to the graboid as it is. There is no more room for another form. Some say that their might be another form after the AB. That is that it might morph again after it lays it's egg, but I disagree. To tell the truth I personally believe that ABs die shortly after they ley their egg, but that's just me. The Graboid lifecicle is just complicated enough, and I don't see and evolutionary scence to add another stage. What stampede should focus on perhaps new exotic forms of Graboid like the Aquoid (Aquatic Graboid) or other speacies that matagorsose into differant kinds of creatures with new abillities and weeknesses.
I come in peace. Take me to your Lizard.
TG

Postby TG » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:26 am

Name: Shriekoid (fused together with graboid and shrieker maybe?)

I think that would be better as a result of the Mixmaster,rather than a faulty natural metamorphosis.
Action_Burt

Graboids and Genetics

Postby Action_Burt » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:46 am

I don't think there's any need to do another life cycle. We now have the established life cycle. However, there can still be surprises, by showing adaptations for graboids in different regions.

For example, coloration. Although, that's been done with El Blanco.

Or maybe mutations inherited from a different generation of hatchings.

Let's say graboids hatched in a cold region, and we learn that the graboid there has hair- showing how the species successfully adapted to colder climates.

Real animals have this. Bears have different variations. Differences in size, weight, diet and color.

Then there's the possibility of shriekers hatching to conform with the enviroment. E.G., a desert graboid gives birth to fast-running shriekers. The shrieker's goal is to reproduce and metamorphose into ABs that can spread far and wide to lay eggs.

What about a graboid in the swamp? Maybe it hatches out some amphibious shriekers- something with a longer tail, webbed feet?
RCG

Postby RCG » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:43 pm

Not bad, I think thats the way to go.
The swamp graboid will need gills to keep from drowning thou.
RCG
GLA-We Make the Earth Tremble
"In Burt We Trust"
GreenStripe

Snorkle

Postby GreenStripe » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:41 pm

The swamp graboid will need gills to keep from drowning

Not if Graboids use their tenticles as snorkles.
Last edited by GreenStripe on Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Well- as long as they keep to the people of Perfection, which seems likely at this point, then they do have an element of this. El Blanco is good because it keeps a graboid in Perfection- there's always something lurking around under the dirt that you need to watch out for.

Personally, I think the deserty feel is a good one for Tremors- Shriekers and Assblasters work in well in Perfection.

At the same time, it's important that there be a new threat for the good guys to deal with- Shriek and Destroy and such is good and all, but ultimately, it's most interesting when the heroes don't know about what they're up against, and have to figure it out as they go along. The best way to do this is to have something new appear.

In my opinion, the "weird science" and secret government project elements of The Series' mixmaster storyline were quite cool- it gave Burt something to really get worked up about, too. I wouldn't mind seeing this combine with the threat of Graboids that we all know and love to make something even nastier...

In any case, the Graboids don't neccesarily need to change again- but there needs to be something new about them, something different. No slack should be cut. They should be scarier and more threatening than ever before...

Incidentally, I'd love to see more on Assblasters- that possibility of being able to hear interests me, and I think they could do some things that aren't yet known. Meschershmitt lives in captivity. What are wild assblasters like once they get older? Do they defend their eggs? Do they keep learning and getting smarter? Do they change at all, any more? Besides which, they're cool monsters, and I'd imagine both Burt and Rosalita both have kind of a thing against them- what with the house-destroying, uncle-eating and blatant wet t-shirt scene-causing. Or maybe not so much on that last one... >.<
Great White Graboid

Postby Great White Graboid » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:11 am

linx05 wrote:I would really hate it if Stampede put a new life cycle/species into the movies. The movies are about Tremors, thus the name; "Tremors". If Stampede have thought about doing this, I think they would lose a lot of there older audiance. I've been an avid fan to all the Tremor movies for over 9 years, and I would hate it if they would forget about Graboids and movie on to a "aquatic species". A mate who runs a popular Tremors fan site said this,

For me, tremors has always been about the desert and the dirt. I think if they move towards more aquatic and series style stuff, they'll lose alot of the true fans. Not the ones who go along with anything simple because it's called Tremors, they'll stay becaue they won't know any different. But they'll lose the ones who loved the first movie.

True indeed, tremors is about the deserty feel of the monsters. This reminds me of something i saw either on a website or on the t-1 dvd, but it had the two monster makers Alec Gillis (can't remember last name) and Tom woodruff talking about the scene where val and earl are being chased through the desert on foot, and they jump over the huge wall and the graboid smashes into it, killing itself. They described that when they were doing all the make up and effects, they didn't want to make it to slimy and wet for the graboid, they wanted to retain some of the graboids' deserty dryness type feel.
"What kind of supreme being would condone such irony?"

[Burt from T-3]
Action_Burt

Desert vs. elsewhere

Postby Action_Burt » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:54 am

I agree that the extra lifecycles aren't needed, and that Tremors is all about monsters in the desert.

In the series, a new approach had to be taken to make it interesting. there were only so many desert graboid stories you could tell. Other monsters HAD to be introduced.

Now that we've had a taste of the "expanded tremors" universe, I don't think i can go back to just the American Southwest. I want to not only see more graboids in the "real world" I want to see more of the world the graboids live in.

I think the next logical step in the films is to have Burt go to another desert in the world. We were teased with the concept in T3's opening in Argentina. It's my favorite part of the whole film.

However, after T5, I think it is time to give us something more. After all, each film has set the precedent of something new for the graboids. While I agree the lifecycle should remain set, we do need to see some variation. Or maybe some graboid vs. (insert animal) action.

I'd love to see two or three graboids attacking an elephant- ripping it to shreds and feeding on it, working like a pack.

Or maybe pit the ultimate water predator, the crocodile, against the ultimate subterranean predator, the graboid.

Imagine a film post rainy season, with graboids sliding through muddy, dried up rivers, decimating crocs, cattle or whatever else gets in their way.

And of course, I'm still waiting for Graboids in a high, cold desert.
benny_the_graboid_slayer

Postby benny_the_graboid_slayer » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:18 pm

Mixmaster opens so many possibilities for Graboid mutations. I wish they didn't complete the lifcycle like that. I wanted to see a giant T-rex sized Shrieker or something. Or maybe an new more serpentine land Graboid. What I wanna see is a Graboid mutant that actually has had there heat sensor organs evolve into real eyes. They need something new. They won't be able to keep making movies with just Graboids, Shriekers, and ABs or the series will start getting old real fast. Or maybe super smart Graboids.
GreenStripe

What a fate!!!

Postby GreenStripe » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:45 pm

Benny, I just finnished posting an Idea on that. Check out my "In responce to Action_Burt" post. Wow that was funny. I prectically thought of the same thing as you. Even though it's not a really a Shrieker, it is a 21 foot tall Shrieker look-alike. HAH!! Funny!
benny_the_graboid_slayer

Postby benny_the_graboid_slayer » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:36 pm

Here ya go. The Eradicator

Filth Dragon

Postby Filth Dragon » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:56 am

This is just a question but is there any kind of solid proof that an egg laid by an assblaster is going to release a dirt dragon?
I'm just asking since I didn't see all the films and never got a chance to watch the series.

If there's no proven link, another caste could be easily added. A fun yet deadly one. We got the grabites which can dig and jump, the dirt dragons (adult grabites) which can dig, the shriekers which can run, and finally the gliding assblasters.

What about ones which can roll?

Let's call them the Rocky Balls.

First, a rocky ball would look like a vaguely round rock, be covered with numerous little thick armoured plates and its diameter would be 2~3 feet wide.
It would generally wait for a prey to come close and then deploy three tentacles to grab said prey into a mouth that would be filled with sharp teeth (a bit like the Langoliers seen in that bad TV adaptation from King's novel).

The rocky ball would move and jump by lifting its plates and would use its three tentacles in its mouth to grab objects and eventually stop dead during a course.

The mouth itself would be located inside a classical graboid mouth, though when closed, it would be hard to notice its presence as it would blend with the overall round shape of the rocky ball.

When sitting still, the creature would be easily mistaken with a rock, especially if it has dirt on it and if it's hding behind bushes or among other rocks.

Finally, it could spit nine inch darts, but a rocky ball would have only three of them, which is already enough... maybe one per tentacle.

Now another possibility...

We could say that the assblasters evolve into one last caste before dying.
Let's see.
Assblasters devlopped a capacity to ignite some kind of fuel.
That means they can produce flames like fire dragons of some sort, but the flames they sprout are used for motion and do not come out from their mouths.
Couldn't this feature used for some kind of flamethrower/cannon aptitude?
I don't know, a Fiery Fatass or Graburner...
Say assblasters, after laying their egg, become old and fat and don't fly anymore but rather crawl over the surface. They start to use their ass as a cannon.

They could violently sprout/defecate some kind of flamed projetiles over a certain distance, like several tens of meters...

Or better, the fluids they use as a fuel would progressively produce gases and would make the assblaster inflate from within. It would slowly become lighter until it transforms into some sort of flying balloon and explodes, releasing flamed juice all over the place (think about a low grade napalm grenade).

Wild ideas here. Don't worry. :D
Action_Burt

Um.. yes there is proof

Postby Action_Burt » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:33 pm

SS Wilson said so.

They wanted to show us what hatches. Now, i admit, I am feeling a little ripped off. The grubboids do look markedly different from graboids, so yeah, the newly-hatched critters must look a little different still.

I bet the series would have shown us a freshly hatched grubboid (this is getting silly. Stampede, please make a decision on a name!)

And there is still the issue of how MANY eggs an AssBlaster lays and how long it lives.
toernado

Postby toernado » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:16 am

Those are some good ideas. On the idea of just the desert, sandy places for tremors settings is good it does have the limitations. And the fact that the AB's can travel distances w/ the eggs, couldn't that bring the idea of creatures in any of its stages out of the valley towards some larger cities. Maybe, not like a Las Vegas but, somewhere else in the midwest. A cool place, I think, might be somewhere around the Yellowstone NP area. Like maybe a graboid shooting out of old faithful or something. As in T4 it took the hot springs to hatch the eggs. Yellowstone would be the perfect spot. :)

Return to “The Tremors Movies”