Does a Graboid's skin toughen, and do they keeping growing?

Talk About The Tremors Movies
Mitsukara

Does a Graboid's skin toughen, and do they keeping growing?

Postby Mitsukara » Mon May 31, 2004 9:47 pm

(Incidentally, if you haven't seen T4 or The Series, this might have a few spoilers you want to avoid)

I've noticed, sometimes Graboids seem a little more durable than others. In T1, they rip up the bottoms of buildings, and cars, even bursting through brick walls and seem just fine afterwards- one graboid gets skooshed against the wall of a drain pipe, but those walls have to be pretty heavy, and it was also the first one to be killed in the movie- perhaps it was younger than the others?

In T2, there are lots of graboids but they're all out in the open and destroyed with explosives, so no real examples there.

But, in T3, El Blanco rips out Jack's axle, and pushes right up against Burt's wall, with no damage. Perhaps he was moving slower, so he didn't just smash into it like the others.

Again, do Graboids keep getting bigger until they turn into Shriekers? El Blanco looks pretty big, bigger than a lot of the full-grown graboids in T4 if you look (although, full-scale models next to CGI...), if you compare Hit and Run with the Muling Station scene... Perhaps they go through a rapid growth spurt for the frit month or so since they're born, as seen in T4, then keep growing slowly as they live. This would make El Blanco bigger than any other graboid, as he's been alive for about 3 years now.

In The Series, El Blanco proves to be pretty durable, too- more climbing over Burt's wall (supposedly he even knocked down part of the fence and tried to jump over, when Burt's looking in his periscope), eating things like 4-12 and a dirtbike without any more apparent harm than upchucking them.

So do Graboids perhaps keep growing bigger, and get tougher and tougher skin? Or perhaps they mostly only grow until adult size, and then their skin gets hard and dry, making them a little more resilient?

I always thought Graboids were fairly tough-skinned and could endure most things, but T4 makes me realize that perhaps they aren't as much so- one dies from running through a saw! Sure, it's sharp, but their skin has to be a bit squishy for that to work, too. And they might be a little lighter, too- they carry and squish one against the engine, after all. This would go along with them being lighter and softer as they're younger, as they were little more than a month old still, where the ones in other movies could've been a bit older by the time they were dealt with (especially T2, A Little Paranoia Among Friends, and maybe T1).

Any thoughts on this?
Ather

Postby Ather » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:27 pm

Seems to toughe with age, but I'm not sure EB is a good reference, being albino and sterile and all. Perhaps the albino DNA makes him bigger and tougher?
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:59 am

I think in cases of other animals that are albino, their skin is actually somewhat sensitive- especially to the sun. I think...

Of course, even if El Blanco's skin is vulnerable to extended time in the sun, Graboids don't generally have to worry about such things too much...

Now there's an idea. Mixmaster Vampire-Graboid. Vampiroid!
Ather

Postby Ather » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:18 pm

I'd think they soften with age, to allow easier exiting for the Shriekers.
Ather

Postby Ather » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:36 pm

They probably harden for protection, then a hour or so before Shrikers emerge, they become very very soft.
Punisher Bass

Postby Punisher Bass » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:32 pm

Maybe Graboids are just like humans in the sense that some of them are just tougher than others. There are some people who can just absorbe an impact that would knock out another person. And maybe some of them are just weaker, ever heard of someone having a glass jaw?

Return to “The Tremors Movies”