On New Ground

Talk About The Tremors Movies
m0ds

On New Ground

Postby m0ds » Mon May 09, 2005 1:59 pm

Hello, it's been a while, and from what I can see, this forum doesn't seem to get much activity anymore. But no doubt people are still checking...

Not so long ago I was working on a Tremors fan film called Tremors: On New Ground, set in the English countryside. You may wonder what happened to it.

We were working on a trailer, we managed to do about 4 days of shooting for it, with the intention of using it as a "show-reel" to apply for further funding to produce a full length feature. Near the end stages of the trailer, the crew pulled out for "legal" reasons. There was nothing I could do to keep them on board, so that dissapointed and upset me, and that day I gave up on the project.

All that remains is a rough trailer. It's okay, but I'm not particularly proud of it. No Graboids feature, (which sucks because several model makers promissed they would be able to create some monsters).

I have no real intention of completeing the trailer at this stage. There is a voice over and the final version did feature the effects shots, but the version below does not include either of those (nor does it include our dubbed sound).

I have every intention of making this movie again in the future, but that will be when I have more experience, a lot of money and a far better crew. A "final" version of THIS trailer may be created when I have a bigger hard-drive.

http://screen7.adventuredevelopers.com/ ... ground.wmv
14mb
Mark "m0ds" Lovegrove
Snakeoid

Postby Snakeoid » Wed May 11, 2005 1:04 am

wow mods!
long time no chat! welcome back to underground ! :)
well it's a real pity you cannot complete it... i was so much looking forward to it...
how about you show us what you have so far (those 4 days of shooting)?
"You don't need a worm, a worm needs you!"
m0ds

Postby m0ds » Wed May 11, 2005 8:30 am

Hi again Snakeoid :) Look in the above thread, there is a URL there for the majority of the trailer. It's just missing the effects shot and the voice over.
Mark "m0ds" Lovegrove
Snakeoid

Postby Snakeoid » Fri May 13, 2005 6:53 am

2mods - i thought that was an old trailer...
cannot download/view it anyway (restrictions at work)
but thanks for letting us know!
update if you get any news, or just come around for chat :)
"You don't need a worm, a worm needs you!"
Wesley Wyndam Pryce

Postby Wesley Wyndam Pryce » Tue May 17, 2005 3:38 am

Hi m0ds. When you said that the crew pulled out because of 'legal' reasons...are you saying it was an indication that someone involved with the actual film franchise got a bit 'upset' with you? Or are you unable to talk about it?

The trailer is good by the way. 8)
m4rk

Postby m4rk » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:58 pm

Thanks Wes!

Here's how it went. My original idea for this piece was to create a fan film to show on the internet, and for me and those involved to put on their showreel. After casting it, one guy became quite friendly and was made a producer for the production. It was then his idea to try and get it shown on TV, and as that idea developed he looked into it further, and had a chat with a lawyer who laughed at him - saying that without Universal's permission and so forth, airing it on TV would be an awful sueable mistake. So at the next production meeting, he told this to the other key crew members, and they came to a decision to leave the project.

That left me with no key people, very upset and with little incentive to carry it on. What annoys me most is that it was supposed to be for showreel, NOT for TV - even though I was happy to go along with that idea to see what could happen, even if the show wasn't aired and a simple documentary was made or we were on local news or something. There were great plans for the production, though it never really came together. We had some exclusive cameos lined up too which were wasted because the team pulled out.

As I've said to some before, I'd love to have another shot at it - but not until I'm a more competent film-maker, with better equipment and a much more rigorous recruiting procedure. I don't want jackass' on my teams anymore to end up ruining them. So that WMV is all that remains of that production, so sorry it was never completed :(

Unfortunatley my love for Tremors has dwindled, too many sequels for my liking - but one day I hope to create the tale of Tremors in England.

As for people involved with the film, well! SS Wilson was very helpful and gave me quite a few tips about production techniques. The webmaster here was also quite friendly to start with but then told me "Universal have an eye on you, because you're selling Tremors related products" - however those CafePress products were all ORIGINAL and simply used the name "Tremors" - not in the Tremors font, nothing etc. The production itself wasn't being sold, just little trinkets like an On New Ground cap. Which I'd love to fund and give out myself, but I can't. Anyway, that didn't bother me at all. In fact it thrilled me to know Universal knew about me :)

Hope this answers your question dude, take care.

m0ds
Mark "m0ds" Lovegrove
Ather

Postby Ather » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:35 pm

A fan film would be perfetc for the Net. Look at Star Wars. There's even awards for them. I'm sure Universal wouldn't mind a simple, not for profit , fan film online. and you had Ss Wilson, Tremors cretaor not objecting, whcih would help. But selling ayhting with Tremors on it, which cna be linked to the movief ranchse, is a recipe for disaster. Doesn't matter if it's in the font or not, if Universal can prove you mean their Tremors, they have a case. You should eb able tos eell your won stuff, as long as Tremors stays off it, or else it's Universal's property.

The fact Universal nevrr really said anything to you, indicates they didn't seem to care mcuh. If they hsd a problem, they'd be sending yuo a letter via tir lawyer, asking you to stop. it looks ba din court for them to say they knew what you were doing,a nd enevr told you to stop. Kinda make sit hard for you to know thye didn't like it. And half the movie studios send out letters forf ar less than that. Like FOX and using any image to promote their stuff as a fan.
Red_Machine

Postby Red_Machine » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:33 am

I thought it was great! That would be so cool to see a Tremors film set in the UK, I would pay to see that. Please try to finish it, you'd have me on your side against Universal!
Red_Machine

Postby Red_Machine » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:49 am

I kinda edited it a bit, I put effects shots in it and improved the credits. I hope you don't mind:

http://esnips.com/web/redmachinesvideos

It's under "Tremors.wmv"
Mitsukara

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:29 pm

Wow, it totally sucks how the project fell apart like that. These shots are quite funny and interesting, and I think it would've been an awesome thing.

I wish you much luck on any further attempts, and in your other efforts as a filmmaker. You definately have my respect for this effort ^.^

And to look on the bright side, it has resulted in quite a fun and entertaining little short.

Incidentally, I rather like the dude in the green vest; his character is funny.

*bows*
m0ds

Postby m0ds » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Aww, thanks Mitsukura!

For your enjoyment, check out the Ginger In The Dark shorts below! (Theyre cheesy and crap but still, show you how my film-making is developing)
http://www.screen7.co.uk/film/

There doesn't seem to be much Tremors activity lately, so looking back, the trailer gets better and better the older it gets, hehehe! There is some good news! And that is that within the next two years, THIS FILM WILL BE MADE! It's always been a personal goal just to make a Tremors movie. From creating the first one that you've seen, I've learnt a lot and I seriously think a second attempt would pay off. I know I ditched the project, and wasn't happy that Universal got pissed at me for doing certain things - but I don't care. It's going to come back! Lots of things in my life have gotten better and are making On New Ground seem more of a possiblity every day.

So keep an eye out! It's coming back ;)

Red_Machine - nice edit! Hehehe the effects shots are nicely added, even if they are far far from what I had in mind originally ;) Its a shame the "final cut" of the trailer got lost, because it featured the ground moving & a car sinking into the ground. Okay, well a model car. Still, nice edit!
Mark "m0ds" Lovegrove
Red_Machine

Postby Red_Machine » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:30 pm

No prob mate. It wasn't all that difficult, I just got the T3 dvd trailer and cut a shot out and used it twice in your trailer. If you need anyone to help you edit it or put effects shots into it, etc, just ask.

Return to “The Tremors Movies”