School Project Completed

Talk About The Tremors Movies
linna

School Project Completed

Postby linna » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:19 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that we gave our presentation and it went very well. We attempted to sell the graboid to "scientists" for research. Our instructor was impressed. He did have some probing questions like "What is your stand on the charge that Burt is making that your company is really a front for the government? as he believes the only good Graboid is a dead graboid and we want to preserve them for scientific research. All in all it was fun and I learned a lot about Graboids. Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback.

Linna
stampede

Postby stampede » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:58 am

I think that's great. I would love to see everything-maybe you can post!
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby webmaster » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:28 pm

I am glad to hear that it went well. It is great to see all the ways Tremors works it's way into popular culture.
linna

Postby linna » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:11 pm

In a nutshell, we started up the Perfection Valley Corporation which had developed the only known device able to capture a live graboid. We named this device the GC Apparatus (GC standing for graboid catching). With this device we could stun the graboid long enought to unearth it and put it in a containment unit which could then be transported to the scientific research facilities. In order to prevent the graboid from metamorphing into a shrieker or an assblaster (both much too dangerous to be taken outside of Perfection Valley) we injected it with a chemical which would prevent the actual change without stopping the metamorphic cells from being studied. It was suggested that these metamorphic cells could be used to genetically engineer new organs from healthy tissue. We also suggested they could look into the ways these animals could be used in the aeration of the soil, etc... At the end of our presentation we had to field questions and probably the toughest came from our instructor who asked us what we had to say to the allegations that Bert claimed our company was a front for the government and that all graboids should be killed. We assured him that Bert (who we described as a quite flamboyant character) was completely wrong and that we only wanted to look into the scientific possibilities the graboid contained.

So that's about it. Thanks again for all of your help. And thank you to Stampede Entertainment for the great information on this website. It made this project much easier.

Melinda
Ather

Postby Ather » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Did the insturctor know about Burt ebfore hand, or did you give background info first?
linna

Postby linna » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:18 am

OH, he knew. He questioned our bibliography when we didn't have any of the Tremors movies listed and I pointed out to him that we had listed Stampede Entertainment which encompassed all of the movies, TV series, and fan base. He would not have put it in the bag to be picked if he hadn't. He seems to thrive on knowing more than we do and pointing that out to us.
linna

Postby linna » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:52 am

I guess that's right too, but he is the most intense teacher I have ever had!!
Ather

Postby Ather » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:07 pm

You'll thank him for it later
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby webmaster » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:12 pm

You guys thought of some great stuff. Good job! :D

Sometimes it is the assignments that don't make any sense in the beginning which you learn the most from in the end. Any professor can require you to memorize stuff but professors who push you to think and reason about things are the ones you really learn from.

Is that a masters level class or undergrad? I did a number of this type of assignment in my masters degree.
linna

Postby linna » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:31 pm

It is just an undergrad course. It is the Intro to Speech and Communication class. I agree that it has been an interesting learning experience for me. Thanks again.
Snakeoid

Postby Snakeoid » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:43 am

congratulations linna :)
if i was a scientist, i'd buy your graboid hehe :)
anyway, very nice arguments :)
you should stay in our discussions
"You don't need a worm, a worm needs you!"

Return to “The Tremors Movies”